Woman Farts During Surgery, Gets Badly Burned By Igniting A Laser

Forget awkward, this was nearly lethal!
by F. Valencia
Shares
Comment
http://images2.cosmo.ph/

An accident involving a female patient in her 30s happened at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital on April 15. However, the story was only published in a recent hospital report. After knowing the details of the incident, we can sort of understand why the story didn't come out sooner.

According to news.com.au, the procedure involved a laser being applied to the patient's cervix. "It turns out that the woman passed gas while she was undergoing surgery and she got badly burned when the fart ignited a laser being used in the surgery," reports Japan-based news agency The Asahi Shimbun.

More from Cosmo.ph


The Tokyo Medical University Hospital is touted as an acute care facility that is the only one in Japan carrying out surgery using robots.

The report cited the hospital's official findings, which were released on October 28. The hospital explained: "When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the [operating room], it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

More from Cosmo.ph

Shares
Comment
Thoughts?
Be the first to comment. Join the Discussion Below!

COMMENTS

THE LATEST ON COSMO.PH