Have you ever made plans with your boyfriend only to have him text you, "I'm running a little late," half an hour later? Is he unable to show up on time? This may be why.
1. He just kind of forgot what time it was.
This can happen when his mind wanders. He click on a few links his friends shared on Facebook, watches a funny YouTube video, AND OH MY GOD, HE WAS SUPPOSED TO LEAVE 10 MINUTES AGO. Still going to finish watching this YouTube video first though.
2. He spent too much time in the shower cupping his hands, letting them fill with water, and then letting it go on the floor of the tub.
You've got a hot date planned and he hops in the shower to get ready and then screws around in there for an extra 20 minutes because doing this is weirdly hypnotic.
3. He is in the middle of a Call of Duty hot streak.
Or just finishing up a TV show. Or he can't leave until the game is over. Whatever it is, he's eyeballing the clock and thinking, Well, I can still wrap this up, and if I speed and hit all green lights, I'll only be 10 minutes late.
4. He's masturbating.
Masturbating is like eating Pringles in that once you pop, you can't stop. He could also literally be eating a can of Pringles, maybe.
5. He completely miscalculated how long it would take to run other errands.
He probably has time to get gas, grab a new toothbrush, and eat dinner in the next 20 minutes, right? If the answer isn't "literally impossible," he's going to go for it and probably be late.
6. His phone was basically dead.
He told you he was going to come over via Facebook messenger and then realized his phone is dead. The 20 minutes he was late was spent pacing back and forth, hoping his phone would somehow at least hit 20 percent so he can listen to Spotify on the ride over.
7. He got caught up talking to his roommate and/or neighbor and/or mailman.
He left with every intention of getting there on time, and then his roommate caught him on the way out the door to talk about a new system for buying toilet paper, or the mailman somehow turned "how 'bout this weather, huh?" into a 20 minute diatribe on global warming.
8. He was sleeping when you called him and he was pulled back into the world of dreams.
He was taking a nap when you texted him and asked him to come over, and then he wound up falling back asleep right after for, like, 10 minutes. He's trying to play it off.
9. He is purposefully biding his time in a last-ditch effort to get out of seeing the movie you want to go to.
"Oh, babe. I'm so sorry. I got here as fast as I could. Do you think we'll still be able to get tickets to see The Best of Me? I hope so."
10. He hit actual, real, honest-to-goodness traffic.
This happens 1 out of every 100 times he's running a little late to pick you up, but it does happen.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.