2. And for all the blonde babes out there: You need to moisturize your tresses once a week to turn your blonde ‘do from please-don’t-die to puhlease-mine’s-better-than-Miley’s!
3. Choose a sulfate-free shampoo.
This type of shampoo gently cleanses your hair without stripping off its color. Try this shampoo and conditioner duo from L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Color Care System.
4. Air-dry your hair right after coloring your strands.
Break up with heat-styling for a while. Can't stay away from hot tools? Use heat-protecting products pre-styling to keep damage at bay.
5. Use an app before you apply.
Not too sure about being a red head? Download a free hair color app like Modiface or Change Hair Color to get a sneak peek of what you’ll look like with different hair shades. All you need to do is upload a selfie on the app and choose your hue. It’s super fun, we swear!
6. If you’re a hair color virgin, just opt for a shade or two lighter than your original hair color.
7. Color is an excellent way to pump up the volume.
Did you know that hair color application opens up your hair follicles? Apparently, it boosts your hair’s volume—and makes your locks easier to style. Now, who doesn’t love a little color and volume, amirite?
8. Your colored hair needs sun protection as much as your face needs it.
Don’t let the sun fade out your hair color. Wear a hat, wrap a scarf around your head, or spray on a UV-protection mist to maintain the radiant color of your tresses. Plus, it would keep your scalp and strands away from damage. #DoubleDuty
9. Pick a shade that's lighter than your desired hair color.
Monotone colors tend to make you look older and lighter shades make you look younger. Plus, when you dye your hair with a dark shade, it will be harder to color it with a lighter shade next time. Keep this in mind when choosing your color!
10. Shower with cold water.
This is a good way to make the color stay longer. Warm water will make the color bleed and fade.
11. Natural light is the way to go.
Like makeup application, you will also know the true shade of your hair color under natural light. Consider this when deciding to go lighter or darker. How your hair looks like inside the salon is not how it is IRL!
12. Get dirty, and spice things up!
Mix apple cider vinegar and water. Rinse your strands with this mixture after your shampoo-conditioner routine. It keeps your highlights radiant and your hair shiny.
13. Choose an excellent hair color product.
The right product will do wonders for your looks—and confidence. Must-try: L'Oreal Excellence Creme. It's formulated with triple care technology that contains three powerful ingredients to seal color, replenish nutrients, and condition your hair. This is the hair color product that will definitely care for your hair from start to finish, as it includes pre-color and post-color conditioners to keep your tresses hydrated.
BONUS TIP: Dealing with gray strands? This hair must-have promises 100% gray coverage. Get the color and care you deserve from L’Oreal Excellence Creme.