There’s something about having beautifully styled curls that makes me think I can conquer anything, whether it’s an important meeting or a school reunion. Whenever I step out of the salon, I’m always extra confident because I feel sooo pretty (LOL!). If you share the same sentiments but don't know how to curl your locks, fret not! All you need are the right tools, practice, and some video tutorials! Ahead, the different curling techniques you can follow to level up your hair game:
How To Curl Hair Using a Straightener
Perfect for: Korean-style waves
- Spritz on an anti-static spray to keep your locks frizz-free.
- Secure the top half of your hair with a clip or hair tie.
- Get a one-inch section of your untied hair.
- With your straightener, create waves on your locks, making sure the ends are curled inwards. Follow the same steps for the rest of the bottom half of your hair.
- For the top half of your hair, create volume by doing this step: When your iron is two-thirds of the way down, twist your locks once outward to form an S-Curl.
Philips Essential Care Straightener
In the market for a straightener? The Philips Essential Care Straightener features long plates for easy straightening and heats up to 210 degrees Celsius, giving the hair a super shiny finish.
Philips Essential Care Straightener, P3,299, Watsons
Lush Sunny Day Anti Static Hair Detangler
Keep your hair smooth and glossy no matter what the weather is with Lush Sunny Day! Apart from fighting frizz, this violet-scented anti-static spray also helps detangle the locks.
Lush Sunny Day Anti Static Hair Detangler, P995, Lush
How To Curl Hair With a Curling Iron
Perfect for: Polished curls
- Put your locks up in a half ponytail and split the bottom half of your hair into four sections.
- For a polished look, spritz hairspray on the strands.
- Take one section of your hair and run your curling iron through it as you would a straightener. This will ensure that the heat is evenly distributed and will help make your curls last longer.
- Hold the curling iron horizontally, place it on the middle part of your strands. Curl the rest of the section inwards.
- After taking out the iron, immediately wrap your locks around your fingers to cool your strands down while keeping the curls intact. Clip your hair in place.
- Split the top half of your hair into three (left, right, and back). Take the back section of your locks and follow the same procedure above.
- Split the front section into four (two on each side). This time, you will point your iron downward and curl your hair outwards or away from the face. After curling your strands, give them a little tug and quickly wrap the curls around your fingers. Let all your curls cool down for at least 15 minutes (you can do your makeup or have breakfast while waiting!).
- Once your curls are set, take a wide-tooth comb and run it through your strands to loosen the waves.
- Apply hair oil to your locks for a smooth and shiny finish.
Vodana Glamwave Curling Iron
Get shiny, voluminous waves with the Vodana Glamwave Curling Iron! This IG-famous curling iron from Korea comes in 32mm, 36mm, and 40mm barrels that can create the bounciest curls.
Vodana Glamwave Curling Iron (40mm), P4,790, Shopee
Kérastase Chronologiste Parfum Hair Oil
Despite being called a “perfume oil,” Kérastase Chronologiste Parfum Hair Oil delivers more than just an irresistible scent. The 2019 Cosmo Beauty Awards winner for Best Hair Oil also nourishes the strands to make them smooth, soft, and shiny.
Kérastase Chronologiste Parfum Hair Oil, P2,950, HairMNL
How To Curl Hair With a Curling Wand
Perfect for: Mermaid curls
- Prep your hair with a hair primer or a heat protectant. Divide the hair into three parts: Top, middle, and bottom. Put the top and middle sections up in a bun to keep them away from the face.
- Take a section of untied hair and position the curling wand downward. Wrap your locks around the barrel and make sure you curl as close to the roots as possible (but be careful not to burn your scalp!). After around five seconds, drop the hair into your hand and let it cool before releasing it.
- Alternate the direction of your curls. If you first curl away from the face, you should curl the next section inwards. Just make sure the strands around your face are curled outwards so they frame the face!
- After styling your hair, give the curls some time to cool off to make them last longer.
- Finger-comb through your strands to loosen the curls and give your hair more volume.
KISS NY 5-in-1 Curling Iron
The 5-in-1 Curling Iron from KISS NY comes with five barrel attachments: 1¼” clip, 1” clip, ¾” clip, 1” tapered wand, and 3/8-3/4” tapered wand. With this set, you can go for a range of hairstyles from tight curls to big, voluminous waves.
KISS NY 5-in-1 Curling Iron, P4,999, Watsons
Eva NYC Mane Magic 10-in-1 Primer
If you’re looking for a multipurpose product that preps the hair for styling, try Eva NYC’s Mane Magic 10-in-1 Primer. This miracle in a bottle boasts ten benefits: Detangles, reduces frizz, strengthens, softens, cuts drying time, adds shine, nourishes, smooths, protects against thermal (heat) and UV (sun) damage.
Eva NYC Mane Magic 10-in-1 Primer, P799, Beauty Beat
How To Curl Hair Without Heat
Perfect for: When you don’t have time in the morning
- Split the hair into two sections. Brush the hair out to make sure there aren’t any tangles.
- Get a fabric headband and put it on as you would a hat. Make sure it sits on top of your hair.
- Spray your hair with water to dampen. Doing this will help set your curls.
- Twist the section of hair outwards and tuck it into the headband. Repeat until all of your strands are wrapped around the headband.
- Finish off with hairspray and leave on overnight.
- After removing the headband, separate the strands and scrunch up with hair wax or gel to style your curls.
TRESemmé Compressed Micro Mist Hair Spray
Hate how traditional hairsprays make your hair sticky and stiff? Try the TRESemmé Compressed Micro Mist Hair Spray—it features a lightweight formula that keeps your hairstyle in place.
TRESemmé Compressed Micro Mist Hair Spray in Extend Hold Level 4, P435, Lazada
Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Quinoa Frizz Control Gel
For smooth and defined curls, go for Briogeo Curl Charisma Frizz Control Gel. It’s made with rice amino acids and tomato fruit ferment extract that help hold the curls while keeping frizz at bay.
Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Quinoa Frizz Control Gel, P1,280, Sephora
How To Curl Hair: Beach Waves
Perfect for: A chill, effortless look
- Prep your hair by straightening with either an iron or blow dryer.
- With your straightening iron facing down, clamp a section of your hair and flip the iron away from your face. Keep pulling down until the iron reaches your ends.
- Once you’re done curling your hair, run your fingers through the strands for a more natural look. You can also quickly iron over large chunks of hair to reduce the curls if needed.
- Spritz on a sea salt spray to add texture and keep the waves in place.
Vidal Sassoon Ionic 2-in-1 Straight & Curl Straightener
If you’re looking for your first-ever heat styling tool, invest in the Vidal Sassoon Ionic 2-in-1 Straight & Curl Straightener. As the name suggests, it’s multi-functional and can be used to create a variety of hairstyles from sleek locks to bouncy curls. BTW, it won as the Best Hair Tool in the 2019 Cosmo Beauty Awards.
Vidal Sassoon Ionic 2-in-1 Straight & Curl Straightener, P2,999, SM Beauty
Beach Born Sea Salt Spray
The cult-favorite sea salt spray from local brand Beach Born is just what you need for the perfect beach waves! It adds volume and texture to the hair while helping the curls last longer.
Beach Born Sea Salt Spray, P180, Beach Born
How To Curl Hair: Old Hollywood Waves
Perfect for: Special occasions
- Before curling your hair, straighten it with either an iron or blow dryer.
- Create a deep side part with a rattail comb. Sweep the rest of your locks on one side (where the large section of the parting is). Separate the top half of your hair into a bun or secure with an alligator hair clip.
- Take a section of your hair and curl outwards, making sure the ends are tucked in the iron’s clasp. Wait for around ten seconds before releasing it into your hand. Repeat this step all throughout your hair. (TIP: If you also have a curling iron with a slightly smaller barrel, use that for the topmost section of hair for more defined curls.)
- Spritz on hairspray to keep your curls intact. Then, take a boar bristle brush and gently brush out and loosen the curls.
- Tease the roots for a more dramatic look. Finish off with some hairspray to make the curls last.
BaByliss Pro 32mm Sublim Touch Curling Iron
Create soft, bouncy curls with the BaByliss Pro 32mm Sublim Touch Curling Iron. The wand comes with a smooth coating that helps evenly distribute heat. This tool has 10 temperature control options ranging from 150 to 180 degrees Celsius.
BaByliss Pro 32mm Sublim Touch Curling Iron, P3,650, BeautyMNL
Goody Smooth Blends Ceramic Brush
ICYDK, boar bristle brushes naturally condition the hair by distributing the scalp’s natural oils all over the strands. The Smooth Blends Ceramic Brush from Goody features natural boar bristles with ball-shaped tips, which help detangle the hair.
Goody Smooth Blends Ceramic Brush, P899.75, Lazada
Follow Paulina on Instagram.