Whenever a new year rolls around, one of the things we like to do is give our hair a fresh new look, whether it be a shorter 'do or a new hue. If you're planning to go for the ~big chop~ this 2021 to get rid of your super long quarantine tresses, we recommend sending them to an organization that receives hair donations. They will be turned into wigs to be given to cancer patients.
Interested? Here are some general reminders to remember, plus some organizations you can check out:
- Hair to be donated must be at least 10 to 12 inches long.
- Hair must be clean, dry, and tied using a ponytail.
- Place your hair (with the elastic still around it) in a clean resealable bag. Label it with your name, address, and contact information.
- Wavy or curly hair is generally allowed, but make sure to check in with your chosen organization.
- Treated hair can still be accepted but it's generally discouraged. Tresses that were rebonded, colored, or bleached cost more money and take a longer time to be turned into wigs.
Where to donate hair:
Kythe-Ateneo is now holding its year-long donation drives for Hair2Share. The locks you donate will be given for free to those in need via their Wigs2Give initiative. For more information, you can check out their primer here. If you're interested in donating, fill out this form.Continue reading below ↓Recommended VideosContinue reading below ↓
Hair For Hope
Hair For Hope has partnered with Volu-med Salon and The European Hair Factory, Inc. to provide free wigs to Makati Medical Center, Asian Hospital and Medical Center, and other health centers. Note: Your donated hair must be at least 12 inches long and *braided* before cutting.
Strand Up For Cancer
Another organization you can look into is Strand Up For Cancer. To donate, simply fill out this form. Your hair must be dry and at least 10 inches long. Colored hair is accepted as long as they are in natural hues like brown.Continue reading below ↓
The Hope Project
The Hope Project regularly receives hair donations, with their last wave held from October 19 to November 16. There's no word yet on when they will begin their 2021 drive, so be sure to follow them on their official Facebook page to be updated!Continue reading below ↓
Follow Cheska on Instagram.
Follow Cosmo PH Beauty on Instagram.