Gunning for the most-coveted title at the upcoming Miss Universe coronation night is our very own Miss Philippines, Maria Mika Maxine Medina. And since the 26-year-old morena beauty bagged the Binibining Pilipinas crown last April, we've come to know that she is a professional model and an Interior Design graduate at De La Salle-College of St. Benilde. But clearly, there's still a lot we are yet to learn about this queen (like the fact that she loves to cook and is a total beach babe).
Below are 10 fun facts that you need to know about our Miss Universe-Philippines candidate, as told by Maxine herself:
1. "My happy place is the beach. I love to bask under the sun. I love water sports and hiking, even staying for hours with some music, a camera, and my mat. You can forget the camera when in front of you is a view that's worth to be made a postcard."
2. "For the kid in me, sweet pastries and candies are sure to make me smile. It makes me feel excited when a box of Sour Patch Kids is on my lap. Even when I bake, I just can't stop eating!"
3. "I love comfortable and simple clothes—mostly jeans and tops that are plain yet stylish. If it weren't for having to dress like a beauty queen, I'm sure you'd seldom see me wearing heels or any flashy clothes."
4. "I used to draw portraits using mixed media and charcoal pencils. When I was younger, I would stay at home sketching, mixing colors, and painting on canvas."
5. "I was once a volleyball player, and I always wanted to become a star player or an MVP. That was my goal when I was in high school. I was a fan of Leila Barros, the hottest Brazilian volleyball player."
6. "I'm a tripper. I'm always on the go whenever someone invites me to do outdoor activities, be it out of town or even out of the country. I love seeing different cultures and people."
7. "I am a religious person. I start and end my day with a prayer. I believe that faith can move mountains."
8. "I love my family so much! I grew up in a very conservative family but my childhood was a happy one. We spent our Sundays hearing mass, eating with the entire clan, and going out of town with my family."
9. "I'm the type of person who wants to be busy at all times. I always want to do something. Even when I stay up late at night, I always wake up at six in the morning the next day to cook or to do my errands."
10. "Speaking of cooking, since I love food, my favorite place at home is our kitchen—complete with a set of pans and utensils. My mom trained me to cook when I was 11, and since then I've always enjoyed cooking for my family."
This story originally appeared on Preview.ph.
* Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.