Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez might be in the middle of a shady Insta fight, but there were a few bright, shining years when they only said the sweetest things about each other. In order to keep the #Jelena spirit alive (I can hold out hope, OK?!), here's a look back at the 15 gushiest things Selena and Justin have ever said.
1. "I think he deserves [his VMA nomination]! I think he's worked really hard. I think he works harder than a lot of people I know, so he deserves it. I think just the fact that he's 16 and you're gonna see him onstage with all these other artists that have been around, like, much longer than he's been alive, it's gonna be really cool ...." —Selena on Justin being nominated for a VMA
2. "If I'll share anything with you, it's that he really is a hopeless romantic. I had just mentioned it in the car — all I said is that I really want to see Titanic again, and then…" —Selena on the time Justin rented out the LA Staples Center for a private screening of Titanic
3. "I think a lot of my inspiration comes from her." —Justin talking about how the breakup inspired his new music
4. "I don't ever make her separate from me because I don't want her to think I'm ashamed of her because I feel like a lot of guys do that, especially in the business. They don't want to be seen with the girl, so they'll make them ride in separate cars and do all that getaway stuff. If we get away, we're getting away together." —Justin on whether he and Selena have to sneak around
5. "She has very kissable cheeks." —Justin on why he kisses Selena a lot in public
6. "But we were so in love. Nothing else mattered. We were all about each other."—Justin reflecting on their relationship
7. "He's been in my life for so long, and it's just nice to have someone who understands what you're going through." —Selena when asked whether the two were dating
8. "[She] is someone I love dearly. I'm never going to stop loving her. I'm never going to stop checking in on her. I don't think if you end a relationship, you should end that, unless it was super toxic and you guys were hurting each other physically or mentally. We always respected each other and we still respect each other." —Justin talking about their breakup
9. "My life is very good right now. She's just another blessing." —Justin on what it feels like to date Selena
10. "I love Justin. When he first started to come over from Canada, his manager contacted me and he just said that he would like to meet me and he was just such a good kid. And I feel like a big sister now, 'cause I want to protect him. So I'm always very cautious with him, but he is so talented and he's so sweet, so that just started us wanting to work together. Now he's just become one of my good friends." —Selena talking about Justin before the two started dating
11. "Best part of the teenage years … what was it? Sickest part … Probably my relationship with my ex-girlfriend." —Justin on the best part of his teenage years
12. "It's so important that a girl makes me laugh … I like to mess around and pull jokes on people so I like to be around people who make me laugh and share my sense of humor. That's Selena for sure." —Justin on why he fell for Selena
13. "I love him. He's been in my life for a very long time ... He's one of my best friends, yes. " —Selena after being asked if she's dating Justin
14. "We have a lot of history together so I'm sure it possibly could happen. I think we're both on our own journeys of figuring ourselves out, and I think maybe once we figure ourselves out, we can come together and make an awesome duo … I just want her to be happy, honestly." —Justin on whether they'll ever get back together
15. "I'm proud of the woman she is today. When you love someone that much, even if something comes between you, it's a love that never really dies." —Justin talking about Selena post-
Follow Madison on Twitter.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.