The actor issued a lengthy statement regarding his split from the actress in a statement posted by Tom's manager, Popoy Caritativo on June 17.
In Tom's statement, the actor said that he left the Philippines for the United States on March 13, writing, "Despite all my efforts, Carla had already given up on our marriage."
He continued, "A lot has been said against me but in the end, Carla and I are the only two people who know the truth. I refuse to allow anyone, who only wants to use us and our brokenness, for news."
Tom said that their relationship was not perfect but they both know how much they loved each other. He also said, "I will no longer dwell on the reasons why our marriage fell apart. So many lies have been said of me which are completely untrue and utterly unfair."
Tom also admitted that he fell short as a partner, "especially when I lost all my money to someone who preyed on my gullibility," and stressed that he had never laid a hand on Carla.
The actor also said that it's now time for him to move forward and teach himself to fall out of love with Carla. His statement continues, "I have accepted her decision that it is time to move forward, independent from each other. I have to teach myself how to fall out of love [with] her. This will be a lonely, painful path that I shall take, but together with my family here in the U.S., I have the strongest support system. I am with people who will never judge and who will only love me unconditionally."
Tom, who is a U.S. citizen, was able to file for divorce which has already been finalized as per his statement. According to a report from Nelson Canlas aired on 24 Oras on June 17, Tom's divorce can only be recognized in the Philippines if the court approves a petition of recognition of a foreign divorce decree.
He also wishes that Carla's birthday wish be granted so that "she finds the happiness she is searching for."
Tom added, "This will be the last you will hear from me on the matter. I have no desire to violate the gag order issued on us and our lawyers."
Tom's statement comes as Carla recently revealed her side of the story where she wrote a lengthy statement on YouTube where she recounted the pain she endured for seven years, even hinting at having experienced domestic abuse.
Rumors of a separation between the two Kapuso stars first emerged when Tom posted a cryptic video on Instagram in January. It alarmed fans as the couple just tied the knot in a beautiful wedding ceremony in October 2021.
MORE ON TOM: