Various supplements are widely available in the market and Filipinos who are health-conscious would hoard it for its promised benefits, but the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently warned the public against buying and consuming unregistered food supplements in its latest advisories.
The 17 food supplements mentioned in four separate advisories have not gone through the evaluation process of the FDA and may “pose health risks to consumers.” The agency has ordered its regional offices and enforcement units to make sure the products will not be sold in the market.
The FDA have verified that these supplements were not authorized by the government and have not been issued Certificates of Product Registration (CPR). The list of unregistered food supplements are as follows:
- Teatox Life 100% All Natural Kidney and Bladder Cleanse Tea Loose Leaf Herbal Blend
- Teatox Life 100% All Natural Milk Thistle Powder for Liver Cleanse and Detox Herbal Supplement
- Success 200 Herbal Food Supplement Serpentina Andrographis Paniculata Capsules
- Success 200 Guyabano Fruit Extracts (60 Capsules)
- Prevailmax Cellular Homeostasis Formula
- Fucoidan (Prevent Cancer, Anti-Tumor, Anti-Inflammatory Booster)
- Sozo Keto Boost BHB Ketones Advanced Weight Loss Dietary Supplement 60 Capsules (100mg)
- HM Long Jack Tongkat Ali 60 capsules (500mg)
- Gluta Primme Authentic Dietary Supplement Product (30 capsules)
- Now Phosphatidyl Serine 100mg Cognitive Health with Gingko Biloba Extract Dietary Supplement Softgels
- Life Extension Rhodiola Extract 3% Rosavins 250mg Dietary Supplement Capsules
- Diara Pito-Pito Herbal Food Supplement 100% Pure Herbal Liquid (375ml per Bottle)
- Amazing Paragis Tea
- Nature's Way Femaprin Vitex Extract Supports a Healthy Menstrual Cycle Fortified with Vitamin B-6 Dietary Supplement
- M Bless Cinnamon Capsules 400mg Food Supplement (100 capsules per bottle)
- Paradise Orac-Energy Earth's Blend One Daily Superfood Multivitamin with Iron Dietary Supplement
- Sambucol Black Elderberry Original Formula Dietary Supplement Chewable Tablet (30 tablets per bottle)
"Since these unregistered food supplements have not gone through evaluation process of the FDA, the agency cannot assure their quality and safety. The use of such violative products may pose health risks to consumers,” the FDA said in its advisories.
The agency also advised consumers to always check if a food supplement is registered with the FDA before making a purchase. This can easily be verified at the FDA website, which has a “Search” feature. Just type in the name of the product you want to buy to check whether it has been verified.
It is important to always consult a doctor before taking any food supplements for your health.