1. People love to ask you for directions. Just because I'm smiling doesn't mean I know the way to Forever21 in Megamall. I know nothing.
2. People always want to share their problems with you. If you sit at a bar and the bartender starts telling you his problems, you might be living with Friendly Resting Face.
3. You get hit on. A lot. If your face isn't set in a permanent scowl, you're gonna meet a lot of new boyfriends. Actually, even if your face is set in a permanent scowl (and it's also smeared with mud) (and you smell like garbage), it doesn't matter. If you're a woman who has the audacity to exist in public, you're gonna get hit on. Scratch this one.
4. Nobody tells you to smile. Which is a good thing, because you'd probably murder them. *BIG SMILE*
5. People assume you're dumb. If you smile in public for no reason, some people assume you're a lovable doofus who has yet to figure out that life is hard. Oh no, you know all of those things; your face just looks this way.
6. People think they can walk all over you. Not true. You might look friendly but you can turn into a real piece of work if someone messes with you or someone you love.
7. You're often described as "sweet." Ugh, the absolute worst way to describe someone, am I right? It's basically like saying, "I don't know anything else about this person other than that she exists and, um, that's all." It doesn't matter if you are a PhD candidate at MIT, if you're approachable and have a vagina, you will be described as "sweet."
8. People assume you're nice. No, I just look nice. I'm actually a cold-blooded killer; ask me where the bodies are. (JK, I'm just a normal person who isn't frowning.)
9. Everyone always assumes you're fine. People don't think you have emotions beyond "happy all the time." People suffering from Friendly Resting Face often feel sad, angry, scared, excited, and a million other things. If you prick us, we do not bleed happy face emoticons. (Although that would be very cool.)
10. You can't sit on your front stoop and stare into space without making a friend. This isn't always a bad thing because friends are awesome, but sometimes you just want to be by yourself. Maybe people with Friendly Resting Face should consider wearing a sign when we don't want strangers to talk to us? Something like, "I only look nice; I'm actually The Worst?" I'm open to suggestions.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.