1. Someone makes the comment, "I don't know how you can work like that" on average three times a day.
And it's quite annoying, actually. Pretty sure I've been working here, in this very same environment, for the past two years without issue. You worry about yourself, dear, I'm just fine.
2. And you secretly think people with messy desks are more creative.
Or you tell yourself that, anyway.
3. You worry that your colleagues think you're a hobo at home as well as work.
Which is a total injustice, really.
4. Especially when, actually, you take real pride in how spotless you keep your bedroom.
Seriously, it's SO clean. Promise!
5. The thought of moving desks hits you harder than anyone else.
And you wonder why people think it's unreasonable that you require at least three weeks notice. WHAT? There's a lot to clear.
6. You know you'll never go hungry.
Because your desk not only functions as a workspace, but as a store cupboard, too. Biscuits, chips, cup noodles; you name it—it's on the desk.
7. And if push came to shove, you could probably spend the night at work no problem.
Not that you'd want to, but with the deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, bag of clothes, and three pairs of shoes you keep under your desk, it wouldn't be an issue is all I'm saying.
8. People just know not to ask you if you have a copy of some document ready anymore.
Because it'll take you forty-five minutes to sift through the piles of paper you have scattered everywhere, and TBH, it'd just be quicker to print out a new version.
9. Weirdly, you can never, ever find a pen.
Though you're sure you had one right beside you just a few minutes ago…
10. If you're going to get technical about it...
The amount of time you spend searching for things you need among the various clutter on your desk probably equates to roughly one full working day per two weeks. But there's no need to let your boss know that. You always look busy, and that's the important thing.
11. You're the go-to girl for ANYTHING in the office.
Need an iPhone charger? No problem, I've got three. A pack of playing cards? Let me just grab them from my drawer. Plastic utensils? Sure, I've got a bag-full. Tampons? Why yes, yes I do.
12. You've contemplated opening up your own mini sari-sari store.
Because God knows, you've got enough stock.
13. You can't help but feel annoyed when senior level staff turn up to your desk unannounced.
You'd have liked at least five minutes notice just to prepare (aka shove a load of stuff on the floor) so they don't have you down as a total mess.
14. The colleagues who work next to you have started erecting Berlin Wall-esque dividers between your desk and theirs.
Using folders, books, whatever they can to be disassociated from you and your clutter! Which you find kinda rude, really. There's no need to be ostracised from society just because you own a lot of things.
15. But hey!
If your computer screen, mouse, and keyboard are all accessible, then there's nothing to worry about. Priorities.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.co.uk. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.