It’s ok, guys, I hear you: Coming up with Instagram captions is one of our generation’s most difficult tasks. Especially when you’ve got a bomb photo that simply must be posted for a major occasion like, oh, I don’t know, Lunar New Year, for example.
Now, just to clear things up, "Lunar New Year (or Spring Festival) is really the broader and accurate description of the celebration of the new year based on the lunar calendar," says Nancy Yao Maasbach, president of New York City’s Museum of Chinese in America. "When you hear someone refer to it as the 'Chinese New Year,' they're likely talking about China's Lunar New Year traditions and not a separate occasion."
While celebrations vary across the several Asian countries that participate in Lunar New Year, you can definitely expect tons of "lucky" foods that you enjoy with your friends and fam. Plus, according to Maasbach, the other highlight of Lunar New Year you can't miss is "red envelopes filled with money and people [wishing] for good health, wealth, and prosperity." Yup, we definitely won't skip the good luck part.
Oh, and one more thing: Since the lunar calendar is based on sun and moon cycles, Lunar New Year doesn’t fall on a consistent date every year. However, you can expect the 15-day-long festivities—and the transition from the Year of the Tiger to the Year of the Rabbit—to commence on January 22nd in ‘23 (waittt, wasn't it just 2020?). Whether you find yourself gathering for a family meal and red envelope exchange or braving the crowds for your city’s Lunar New Year festivals, IG-worthy photos will be taken and you will be prepared. Without further ado: 23 creative Chinese New Year Instagram captions that exude the most prosperous Lunar New Year vibes.
For generally good vibes...
- Spring is coming.
- Lanterns & Red Envelopes & Dumplings, oh my!
- BRB, entering the Year of the Rabbit.
- Red is the new black.
- May your longevity noodles be long, your dumplings be lucky, and your red envelopes be abundant as hell.
- It's prosperity or bust, honestly.
- Happy Lunar Zoom Year!
- Manifesting health, wealth, and happiness like a...
- Alexa, play "Firework" by Katy Perry.
- Big. Rabbit. Energy.
- As Britney once said, "She's so lucky. She's a star."
Some good, trusted quotes and proverbs...
- “Do not be afraid of moving slowly. Be afraid of standing still.” —Chinese Proverb
- “If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.” —Lao Tzu
- “When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.” —Chinese Proverb
- “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” —Chinese Proverb
- “Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment.” —Lao Tzu
- “There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same.” — Chinese Proverb
When your phone eats first...
- Lucky foods only.
- The longer the noodle, the luckier the gal.
- Don't mess with my hot pot.
- Dumplings for breakfast.
- Serious about these spring rolls.
- Letting everyone know I'll be full until February 15th. Thanks in advance for your patience.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.