For many years now, the Japanese Government has welcomed Filipinos and other nationals from all over the world to study in Japan through six different scholarship programs: Teacher Training, Japanese Studies, Undergraduate Student, Research Student, Specialized Training, and College of Technology. These are all under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program; MEXT stands for Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
And according to the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines, applications for 2021 are now open! The process involves submission of applications, written exams (past exams can be found here), and an interview.
Every scholarship has its own set of instructions, but here's a general guide for all applicants:
General guide for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program applicants
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for the next step of the selection process. To give you an idea, they provided a visual guide of the application process from last year (so the timetable for this year is slightly different).
Continue reading below ↓Continue reading below ↓Recommended Videos
- Make sure to follow all the guidelines and instructions because the screening committee takes this into consideration.
- The application form needs to be printed on A4 size paper and placed inside a brown or transparent envelope. All documents stated in the guidelines MUST be submitted together.
- Submit all application materials by Friday, February 5, 2021 via courier (LBC, Grab Express, Lalamove, etc) to:
MEXT Scholarship Program
Japan Information and Culture Center
Embassy of Japan in the Philippines
2627 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City 1300
- Because they receive so many applications, they are unable to confirm receipt of documents from each applicant. Applicants are advised to coordinate with the courier service to verify the delivery of documents. Face-to-face consultation is currently unavailable.
Important: "The application process for the 2021 Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program is subject to change under unavoidable circumstances. Due to the COVID-19 and other factors, it may not be possible to conduct the recruitment and selection according to the originally announced schedule. The application process may be suspended or canceled."
For inquiries, you may email them at: email@example.com.
Follow Ysa on Instagram.