You've hung the stockings by the chimney with care, you're filled to the brim with eggnog, and you managed to take a sneak peek at the gifts your mom got you without knocking over any ornaments. Basically, Christmas is destined to be a success, and all that's left is to get into a massive fight with your sister over the fact that Love Actually *actually* isn't good. It's fine. I'm fine.
Tap back into that warm and fuzzy holiday magic by, what else, scrolling Instagram. Need the perfect caption for your post of the fam in matching pajamas? Struggling to zero in on something witty amid your Christmas morning anticipation? Can't figure out what to write for when you finally catch Santa on camera eating the cookies your left out for yourself, tyvm? We gotchu. Consider us your holiday Instagram elves, or something.
The key to the Christmas post is to not be TOO cheesy. A holiday that revolves around twinkly lights and sentimental moments with the ones you love is likely going to bring at least a small dose of mushiness to your photos, but you don't want to go over board with a sickly sweet caption. It could make your cynical followers roll their eyes so hard they don't give you the double tap.
I advise letting the cuteness of the pic speak for itself, and use your caption as your time to express your ~true~ self with a little sass. (Santa's not gonna kick you off the nice list at this point, you know?). So read on for 61 captions that are perfect for the most wonderful time of the year, and remember who to thank when the likes start pouring in. (HI!) In the words of the big man himself, merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
If you're a comedian...
- Happy Mariah Carey day!
- The only day of the year I'm a morning person.
- Did we ever consider that maybe hot chocolate wants to be called beautiful chocolate?
- Don't get your tinsel in a tangle.
- What happens under the mistletoe stays under the mistletoe.
- The tree isn't the only thing getting lit this year.
- Dear Santa, define "nice."
- Consider this photo my Christmas card to you all.
- What did one ornament say to another? "I like hanging with you."
- I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, but if the white runs out, I'll drink the red.
If you're a pun queen...
- No laws when you're drinking for Mr. Claus.
- I'm dreaming of a wine Christmas.
- Sleigh all day.
- Go elf yourself.
- Sleighing the game.
- All spruced up.
- Resting Grinch face.
- Sleigh my name, sleigh my name.
- I'm Claus-trophobic.
- Say it ain't snow.
- Elfie time.
If you love quotes...
- "Santa's coming? I KNOW HIM!" -Elf
- "Merry Christmas ya filthy animals" -Home Alone 2: Lost In New York
- "Do you want to build a snowman?" -Frozen
- "I realized that Christmas is a time to be with people you love." -Love Actually
- "Christmas isn't just a day; it's a frame of mind." -Miracle on 34th Street
- "Look, Charlie, let's face it. We all know that Christmas is a big commercial racket. It's run by a big eastern syndicate, you know." -A Charlie Brown Christmas
- "I smell snow." -Lorelai Gilmore
- "First we’ll make snow angels for two hours, then we’ll go ice skating, then we’ll eat a whole roll of Toll House cookie dough as fast as we can, and then to finish, we’ll snuggle." -Elf
- "Blast this Christmas music. It’s joyful and triumphant." -The Grinch
- "It’s Christmas Eve. It’s the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we smile a little easier, we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year we are the people that we always hoped we would be." -Scrooged
If you brought your boo home for the holidays
- Meet me under the mistletoe.
- I love you snow much.
- The holly to my jolly.
- It was love at frost sight.
- Sweater weather is better when we're together.
- Blame it on the mistletoe.
- A December to remember.
- The nut to my cracker.
- If kisses were snowflakes, I'd send you a blizzard.
- I only have ice for you.
If you're bonding with your fam
- 'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house everyone was scrolling through Insta.
- Being related to me is their gift this year.
- There's snow place like home.
- The reason for the season.
- Dear Santa, we can explain...
- Ho, ho, home for Christmas.
- 'Tis the season for matching pajamas.
- VIP Naughty List members.
- We're just like a bunch of candy canes: sweet and slightly twisted.
- Happy holidays from Santa's favorite elves.
If you're musical
- All I want for Christmas is you.
- Let it snow.
- All the jingle ladies.
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas.
- It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
- It's the most wonderful time of the year.
- Baby, it's cold outside.
- Hurry down the chimney tonight.
- There's no place like home for the holidays.
- The feeling's here that only comes this time of year.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.