1. Getting to dress up. Where else are you gonna wear those four ballgowns you bought on extreme sale? You never know when you'll need to whip out a bright yellow chiffon tiered confection and look like a goddamned glorious baby chick to celebrate the nuptials of your dearest. This is what you've trained for and you are ready.
2. New shoes! Weddings always call for new shoes, am I right? I am very right. Nobody has ever been more right.
3. You can wear that crazy fancy jewelry you never get to wear. Now is the time to bring that puppy out to play!
4. Cocktail hour! Sure, the food at weddings can be awful, but the hors d'oeuvres are usually something extra tasty. Hearts of palm nuggets topped with house-made garlic aioli? Mini pretzels dipped in hot pimento sauce? Skewers filled with the most delicious little tender morsels from heaven above? I'll take ten of each!
5. Two words: Signature Cocktails. Not to brag but I've been asked to create signature cocktails for several friends' weddings and they are the MOST fun because you get to pretend you're a fancy bartender for several months leading up to the big day. What? You need to get it RIGHT and that might mean going through one, two, three bottles of gin along the way. You're a good friend, after all. And then at the wedding, you get to down a delicious alcoholic beverage with an adorable name like the "Loosey Goosey" (That was the signature cocktail at my wedding and it RULED.)
6. Two more words: OPEN BAR. I had to caps lock that one because you know I'm as serious as Samuel L. Jackson in any movie Samuel L. Jackson has ever been in. Draining an open bar at a wedding is your God-given right! Besides, how else are you gonna get juiced up for hours of dancing?
7. Dancing! Since we've all aged out of da club, we're left to dance by ourselves like sad weirdos or go to weddings. I choose weddings. (JK, I choose both!)
8. Cake! Or, even better, entire rooms filled with desserts. When else do you get to eat peanut butter brownie bites, baklava, mini cupcakes, and assorted hand pies all in one evening? Maybe heaven? If you're lucky!
9. If you're single, the exciting chance for romance! Since there are not tons of opportunities to meet new people post-College, weddings hold the exciting possibility of meeting, greeting, and maybe even bumping uglies with someone not ugly! (And with all that booze, who cares if they're a little ugly! Pretty people are overrated!) (And if you're coupled, the exciting chance to get all mushy about l-u-v luv with bae. Best.)
10. Mandatory vacation. Look, you can't miss your little sister's wedding in Boracay, right? She's your LITTLE SISTER; she'll only get married, what? Twice? Three times, tops? You have to be there and no major work assignment from hell will get in the way. Oh well!
11. Seeing long lost friends! The best thing about going to a high school or college friend's wedding is that you get to see the people on the periphery of your friend circles that you don't normally make the time for. And it's not because you don't love them—often it's 'cause they live far away and you're poor. But at weddings? It's basically a friend reunion and it's wonderful!
12. Witnessing the amazing life your friends have created. It's so cool to go to a wedding and meet all the amazing people who love the amazing person you love. It's uplifting, inspiring, and all together awesome. The world is good!
13. Vows. You WILL cry. It WILL be cathartic. You WILL feel all the love in the world has been magically transported to your heart and you are now a vessel for human kindness and compassion.
14. Surrounded by dudes in suits. So hot. So hot. The hottest.
15. Hangovers. Hear me out—a wedding hangover is a special hangover because it's often accompanied by a brunch with similarly hung over friends before you all head home OR you're lounging in a hotel room watching a romcom (that you love) and eating room service. Ain't love grand?
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.