1. Your evenings consist of arriving home to a refrigerator that seldom has more in it than a block of cheese and a jar of something that may or may not be good. Most of the time you'd rather just throw the jar of whatever out than open it and look for mold. On the bright side, you have become an expert at calling restaurants nearby for delivery.
2. You often have dip and a bag of plain chips but seldom both at the same time.
3. When you buy a bunch of produce you only end up using 10 percent of it. Because you always forget that you don't have time to roast potatoes and bake eggplants every night of the week like you fantasized you would when you were at the store.
4. A random takeout container of adobo sits in your fridge for weeks on end because you're convinced it's your roommate's. She is convinced it's yours. Oh well.
5. You consistently have three weird beers that you'd never drink left over from a party two years ago taking up space in your fridge. You reason someone will come over to your apartment and want one of them instead of wine one day, but this never happens.
6. You will go to a party or work function just to get fed. Because it beats trying to turn pasta and salsa into dinner at your apartment or spending money eating out for the fifth meal in a row.
7. You eat cereal for dinner, and dinner leftovers for breakfast.
8. When you go home to your parents' house, you marvel at all the food they somehow constantly seem to keep around. Leftovers! Four kinds of chips! HOME. COOKED. FOOD.
9. Sandwich meat and raw chicken goes bad before you can use it. So the next time you bother to buy that stuff, you eat only that until it's gone.
10. You try freezing chicken and bacon so you don't have to eat it all before it goes bad. But you never bother thawing it so it just piles up in your freezer like bricks of something that could, in someone else's world, be food.
11. You go days without vegetables and fresh fruit because you either don't have any at home or only have bad ones lying around.
12. You pray that it's someone's birthday at the office and that she or he be blessed when she or he treats you guys to lunch. One more free meal = one less problem.
13. Spoons of peanut butter are entire meals.
14. Bananas from the convenience store are godsend.
15. You foolishly resolve to pack your lunch every day to save money. But then you realize that this is completely unrealistic because of your snooze button and the grim reality of how boring it is to eat sandwiches that consist of nothing more than ham, bread, and salad dressing every day.
16. You come home drunk and need to eat. That's all.
17. Once you've done a proper grocery shop and get home, you're too tired to cook anything. So you just order in. And then all your vegetables go bad. And the whole cycle repeats.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.