ICYMI, Pinay weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz won the Philippines' first-ever gold medal at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! Her 127-kilogram lift made history, ending the country's 97-year wait. You can watch her winning moment below.
We're pretty sure you guys want to know more about Hidilyn, so we listed down some fast facts about our new ~weightlifitng kween~.
10 facts and trivia about double Olympic medalist Hidilyn Diaz:
- Hidilyn was born on February 20, 1991 in Zamboanga, Philippines. She is 30 years old and her zodiac sign is Pisces!
- She comes from a family of six. Her parents Eduardo and Ermelita Diaz raised her in Mampang, Zamboanga City.
- Her weightlifting journey started when she was 11 years old. She would use improvised weights made out of wood, plastic, and cement. Her cousin Allen Jayfrus Diaz was one of her early mentors.
- Hidilyn studied Computer Science at Unibersidad de Zamboanga for two years. In 2017, she received a scholarship grant from De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde and pursued a degree in Business Management. In an article published by Spin.ph, she said in a roundtable interview, "Sabi ko, hindi forever na maging atleta. Kailangan may degree."
- In 2013, she was recruited into the Philippine Air Force. A year later, she got promoted to the rank of Airwoman Second Class and after the 2016 Summer Olympics, she got another promotion—this time, to Airwoman First Class.
- Apart from winning in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, she also has medals from the following: 2016 Rio Olympic (Silver), 2018 Asian Games (Gold), 2019 World Championships (Bronze), and 2019 SEA Games (Gold).
- In 2016, ABS-CBN Entertainment produced a Maalala Mo Kaya episode featuring Hidilyn's life story, which was portrayed by Jane Oineza.
- Her boyfriend, Julius Irvin Naranjo is also a weightlifter. Currently, he's her strength and conditioning coach.
- She has her very own logo which was created by Art Director/Graphic Designer/Illustrator Neil V Fernando.
- Hidilyn has a tattoo of the Olympic rings on her inner arm. SO COOL.
Congratulations again, Hidilyn! We're so proud of you!
Cosmopolitan Philippines is now on Quento! Click here to download the app and enjoy more articles and videos from Cosmo and your favorite websites!
Follow Lou on Instagram.