1. "Just take a deep breath." I took lots of deep breaths. I also counted to 10, envisioned my happy place, and told myself that everything was going to be OK. Yet here we are discussing how you think I should handle my stresses and it's making me feel dumb.
2. "You need a vacation." Why, yes! I do! Every third thought I have is of disconnecting myself from the Internet and everything that's stressful around me, but unfortunately I literally can't. So glad you pointed out that I look as run-down as I feel though!
3. "It doesn't sound like you really have that much to do." Mountains and molehills are relative, sir. Just because my stresses are different than yours doesn't mean they aren't worthy of stressing over. Please don't make a molehill out of my mountain, thx.
4. "Stress is bad for your skin." You know what else is bad for my skin? Everything. Now you've sent me into a stress spiral about aging prematurely and getting older.
5. "There are other people who have worse problems." I appreciate that you're trying to give me some perspective, but now I just feel crappy. I wasn't comparing my problems to anyone who is starving or anything, I was venting about how my issues are affecting me, here, today.
6. "It's all in your head." It's not though! That's not to say I'm not exaggerating a little or making things more difficult for myself, but in all likelihood, this problem was created by an outside force and thrown my way to deal with.
7. "Relax." See no. 1. Read nos. 2 through 6. Repeat.
8. "Everything will take care of itself." We all know this isn't true! No matter what the issue is, letting it take care of itself is most certainly not the solution. Unless you think it's more helpful to stand idly by while everything goes to shit, let's just not with the wisdom.
9. "You're not the only one who's stressed, you know." I KNOW, REMEMBER HOW I MENTIONED THE STARVING PEOPLE AND HOW I ACKNOWLEDGED THAT YOU HAVE THINGS TO BE ANXIOUS ABOUT TOO? I'M NOT BEING SELFISH, I'M ONLY VENTING.
10. "I don't have time to listen to this." K, bye, Felicia.
11. "This isn't worth getting worked up over." Again, it's not really up to you to decide what is and isn't worth me getting stressed out over.
12. "You're handling this all wrong." See above.
13. "Take it one day at a time." Yes! Let's talk tomorrow when I haven't dealt with any of my issues and I can tell you about how they've piled up more overnight. :D :D :D
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.