1. You feel the urge to pack for every conceivable situation. You've never worn that long, fancy dress, but what if you want to go to a really nice dinner? What if some millionaire wants to take you dancing on his yacht? It could happen!
2. You have to squeeze your purse into your carry-on tote so you can actually bring three bags on board. No way in hell will I check those in!
3. You have to fit all your cosmetics into that little toiletries pouch. Insane. Unrealistic. How are you supposed to live? There really should be an excess baggage fee exemption for dry shampoo.
4. You can't abide by those ridiculous liquid container size restrictions. Just. So. Hard.
5. You realize that you need to do laundry before you pack. But also, you realize that is just not going to happen.
6. You have to figure out how to keep your suitcase from weighing more than 20 pounds. The only thing worse than paying the excess baggage fee is paying the excess baggage fee after unpacking your bag in front of the entire airport, a fistful of panties in your hand, in a vain attempt to transfer those last 4 pounds to your already stuffed carry-on.
7. You have to pick a different outfit for every day. Stress. And you know deep down that you will never stick to any of the choices you've made.
8. You want to leave room for the extra stuff you plan to buy on your trip, but you're completely unable to do so. You have to fill every available inch of suitcase space or else you're just inviting a fashion disaster to happen while you're on vacation.
9. You try to pick a "packing style" in order to get as much stuff into your bags as possible. Are you a roll packer or a vacuum packer? What if you can't re-vacuum your stuff when you come back? Maybe if you sit on your suitcase for a while, it will magically make room for more things.
10. You know your bag is technically too big to be a carry-on, but you also know you've gotten away with it in the past. What if today is the day they make you check it? And then, what if they lose it? There you'll be, stranded in some foreign country, naked and alone.
11. Your doggy is sitting on/in your suitcase making you feel insanely guilty for leaving and forcing you to spend valuable packing time asking him/her to "please, move." You can't just pick the dog up and get on with it. You're not sure why you can't, but you can't. Certainly not before taking an adorable Instagram photo of the little love.
12. You have to decide if you should carefully tuck your favorite perfume in between your clothes and pray it doesn't break, or wear some random travel-size scent you got from a Christmas package last year. Are you even you without your signature scent?
13. Weather denial. You don't care what the forecast says, it's supposed to be warm where you are going and you are packing accordingly. Stupid weathermen are wrong most of the time anyway. You'll dress for the weather you want, not the weather you have.
14. Wrinkles. So. Many. Wrinkles!
15. You want to be comfortable because you know you are going to be walking around a lot, but you also want to be cute because you're in Europe or wherever, and you don't want to look like a total dumpster in front of the Eiffel Tower. You just know the French are going to judge you if you wear your hoodie, but it's so soft!
16. You get that nagging feeling that all your purses are wrong. You don't know what the perfect travel purse is, but you know you don't own it.
17. You struggle to cram just one more pair of shoes into your bag. It's not a vacation without a strappy sandal. It's just not!
18. You wonder if this will the time your overpacked suitcase finally bursts in transit. You know it's just a matter of time before that little zipper finally gives out. If you can just make it through this one last trip, you swear you will get a new suitcase. Promise. Maybe. Probably not.
19. You have to make sure all your tops and bottoms can mix and match. Even though you know the day will come when you look at what you've brought and feel like nothing goes together (aka day three).
20. You know, no matter what, you are going to leave something absolutely essential at home. After all that, how did you forget your toothbrush?
21. Your friends are assholes who claim to be so good at packing and don't understand why you are making such a big deal about it. The struggle is real, damn it!
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.