In the travel advisory, Philippine Airlines said that the travel ban is effective immediately until February 29, 2020. Flights will be canceled between Manila and areas in greater China such as Beijing, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Xiamen, Quanzhou (Jinjiang), and Macau.
Philippine Airlines’ flight cancelations are in compliance with the February 2 directive of President Rodrigo Duterte and the Order of the Philippine Aeronautics Board, which aims to protect the Philippine public by helping to contain and neutralize the spread of the virus, the advisory added.
Philippine Airlines added that the directive “bans the entry of any person of any nationality, except Filipino citizens and holders of Permanent Resident Visa issued by the Philippine Government, who come directly from mainland China and its Special Administrative Regions (SARs), or who had been to China and its SARs within 14 days prior to their arrival in the Philippines.”
The advisory continued, “The directive likewise bans Filipinos from traveling to mainland China and its SARs, and required a 14-day home quarantine for Filipinos and Permanent Resident Visa holders who come from mainland China and its SARs.”
Philippine Airlines also said that they will allow passengers to avail of ticket refunds and flight rebooking with service fees waived.
The novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (2019-nCoV ARD) has so far claimed the life of one person in the Philippines. The man was a 44-year-old Chinese man who traveled to the country from Wuhan via Hong Kong on January 21 with a 38-year-old female companion who tested positive for the 2019-nCoV on January 30, making it the first case of the virus in the country.
Follow Monina on Instagram.