When we rang in the new year, we had no idea what the future had in store for us. Big changes were welcomed and plans were made. But things took a turn because of the pandemic: Our lives were disrupted and certain things had to be put on hold—including the trips we were all looking forward to. While we're grateful to be safe and healthy, it's also important to allow yourself to miss the things you dreamed about and saved up for. Below, Pinays open up about the trips and vacations they had to cancel this year.
- "I was supposed to fly back home [to the Philippines] to be MOH at one of my oldest friend's wedding and then to celebrate Christmas. Needless to say, the wedding is postponed and my trip won't push through anymore." -Trisha
- "Was supposed to go on a solo trip to Osaka last March, exactly the same week the lockdown was announced! My itinerary revolved around the food spots I wanted to try. [I also planned on] visiting neighboring cities via the train and going to the cup noodles museum. It's a good thing everything was refunded naman." -Gia
- "Singapore to embark on my single life eat, pray, love journey to moving on. I would have been staying with my friend and her husband. I was going to wander around SG without any particular itinerary in hopes of exploring the country like a local (with the help of my friend, of course) and savor the street cuisine and take some social media-worthy aesthetic pictures of myself." -Karen
- "Vietnam in May! I was so excited to go on a river cruise along Halong Bay, eat endless banh mis off the street, and stay in a cute little Airbnb (there are TONS of affordable ones there) with my girlfriends." -Hannah
- "Solo Seoul trip in October for my birthday sana! :( I haven't made a final decision yet, but most likely no na. Worst case scenario is to say goodbye to my plane fare if the airline decides not to give a refund or option to change flights." -Paulina
- "Locally, La Union for Labor Day, lol. My barkada and I were just supposed to hang out and bond! :( Tapos in June, my fam and I were supposed to go to Greece for my lola's birthday and we were going to go all Mamma Mia and stuff and recreate some scenes, hahaha. Wasn't sure what the itinerary was since my cousin was in charge but the hotel room had a very Pinterest-worthy balcony overlooking the sea." -Nicole
- "I was supposed to visit San Francisco in March! I was there last year but wasn't able to hit up all the places I wanted to go, like Exploratorium and California Academy of Sciences. I was definitely going to hit up Napa with my cousins and maybe go on a short hike with them!
I was also supposed to go to Siargao at the end of May with a close friend. We had no itinerary except maybe to try surfing. I especially requested to drink for 24 full hours because I've never done it. Figured if you're in Siargao, anything could happen, haha!" -Nikki
- "HOME! I'm based in Tokyo and I miss Manila. I've been away from home for a while and I've been missing my family and friends. Apart from home, I was planning on visiting some good friends in South Africa before the Christmas holidays! I guess that has to be pushed to next year." -Agatha
- "I guess Hong Kong with my cousins wasn't meant to be this year or anytime soon. We had to cancel initially because of the protests, and then when it kinda died down for a while, COVID-19 happened. But still, #FreeHongKong!" -Samantha
- "Dapat Palawan with my grandparents last March, like right before the lockdown. We were supposed to go to one of Palawan's prettiest and most secluded islands: Balabac Beach!" -Karla
- "Tubbataha Reefs National Park. I was supposed to be there from May to June to document wildlife. It would’ve been my first time so I was (and still am) really disappointed because it can only be accessed from March to June. So my best chance is to go next year.
On a positive note: I heard amazing things are happening to the sea animals there now that they’ve been uninterrupted since last year. Excited to see them next year if the universe permits!" -Eka
- "Korea and Japan. Was supposed to try my luck (again) to see BTS. Hello, ARMY!" -Yna
- "I was supposed to spend my Christmas and New Year with my family in New York!" -Czarina
- "Was supposed to go to Cebu with my former officemates to use our free roundtrip ticket and have a mini reunion there. But because of the pandemic, tinanggap na lang namin na hindi na namin magagamit yung free ticket kahit sobrang nakakapanghinayang." -Melanie
- "[I was] supposed to go to Europe for my birthday trip, something I've been planning for the last three years." -Cassandra
Answers have been edited for clarity.
Join Cosmo Mixers, our growing Facebook community for fun, fearless, and forward Pinays!
Follow Ysa on Instagram.