The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Cheerdance Competition, held today, December 2, at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, has been getting all the cheers from fans all over the metro since it started airing this afternoon. But at the end of the day, there can be only one champion.
Here’s the list of winners:
- Champion (winning P340,000): Adamson University Pep Squad
- First Runner-Up (winning P200,000): University of Santo Tomas Salinggawi Dance Troupe
- Second Runner-Up (winning P140,000): University of the East Pep Squad
It must be noted that this is Adamson University Pep Squad's first time to win the top spot in the competition. They placed third last year. Their last medal before that was in 2001; they won the silver.
Special awards were also given:
- Yamaha Toss: National University Pep Squad
- Jollibee Inextrahan! Pyramid: Adamson University Pep Squad
The best group stunt was awarded to Far Eastern University Cheering Squad. Adamson University Pep Squad bagged the second place, while University of the Philippines Pep Squad bagged the third.
The happenings behind the scenes are noteworthy, as well:
- As reported by Spin.ph, two Far Eastern University (FEU) Cheering Squad members suffered minor injuries: one lost a tooth, while the other obtained a cut on her left cheek. We hope they’re both okay.
- University of the Philippines (UP) Pep Squad comes back after a one-year hiatus. In the 2015 UAAP Cheerdance Competition, UP was the second runner-up, with University of Santo Tomas (UST) Dance Troupe as the first runner-up, and National University (NU) Pep Squad as the champion. The following year, UP withdrew from the competition in protest of the 2015 results.
Before the competition began, the official publication of UP, the Philippine Collegian, posted tweets, throwing shade at their rivals. One such tweet reads:Continue reading below ↓
It was a good fight, everyone! Congratulations!