UPDATE: July 18, 2018 6:46 p.m.:
The Angono Municipal Police Station has taken down their Facebook post. Here is a screenshot of the original post:
Warning: We're angry, and you're about to be, too.
On July 17, 2018, the Angono Municipal Police Station posted a misguided (read: stupid) list of tips on how a person can avoid getting raped:
It's 2018. More and more people are educating themselves on rape culture and victim-blaming, and the Angono Municipal Police Station—an institution expected to protect us, no less—places the responsibility of rape prevention on us.
THESE. RAPE. PREVENTION. TIPS. DO. NOT. WORK.
'Cause if they did then:
- No one would sign up for dating apps.
- Everyone would walk around buried in layers of clothing.
- Every street would have a row of lights.
- The whole world would be sober.
- People would just drink in the comfort of their homes and nowhere else.
- We'd all have a black belt in taekwondo.
- Men and women would buy "teargas" and "pepper spray" in bulk.
Prevention messages need to be aimed at people who are at risk of committing the crime, NOT POTENTIAL VICTIMS OF SAID CRIME.
Here's how we think it should have been written: