Valentine's Day gets a bad rap for being just another excuse to spend money on fancy candy and expensive flowers, but the truth is you don't actually have to spend money at all to enjoy celebrating the holiday with your significant other. Here are 10 ways to show your guy/girl that your love don't cost a thing.
1. Cover the room with love-note filled balloons for your significant other to pop.
Cut little slivers of paper and write down all the things you love about the other person or about you as a couple. Fill empty balloons with as many rolled-up notes as you want, and then blow up the balloons and spread them all over the room. At first glance, the balloons will just look like V-Day decorations, but once the balloons get popped, your little love-note surprises will be there waiting.
2. Build a cozy blanket fort for an all-day movie marathon.
If you haven't built a blanket fort in a while, you've probably forgotten how fun they are to make and hang out in. Set yours up in front of the TV, make some popcorn, and cuddle up to watch movies for as long as you want.
3. Cover your significant other's mirror with Post-it notes listing all the things you love about him/her.
Make a heart shape with the notes or spell out something fun and cute.
4. Surprise your loved one with a homemade breakfast in bed.
No need to slave over an elaborate gourmet meal. Raid your pantry and fridge, and whip up something easy (scrambled eggs are always good) but special. Bonus points for any food you can make into a heart shape.
5. Fill a jar with future date night ideas to choose from.
It's easy to fall into the same old routine when going on dates, so add some creativity to your relationship by brainstorming a bunch of ideas for the future. Draw an idea from the jar one at a time and do whatever it says that night.
6. Make a "Valen-timeline" of your relationship that highlights all your favorite past moments spent together.
Print out photos you love from moments you've shared and write down details of that event on the back. Try to remember as much as you can from each event so you can both look back on all the good times and compare memories. Hang them in order on a piece of ribbon (like a timeline) for him/her.
7. Take your significant other on a scavenger hunt to all your favorite places and spend the day visiting each one.
You can't celebrate V-Day without some kind of cheesy poem, so turn your clues into little love poems and then hide them at each spot for your loved one to find.
8. Give the gift of handmade love coupons.
Come up with a list of inexpensive things your guy/girl would love (a massage, a movie night where he/she gets to pick the movie, etc.) and make little coupons they can redeem whenever they want.
9. Sneak little love notes all around your significant other's home, car, pockets, etc. for him/her to find throughout the day.
You know how good it feels to find P20 in your pocket, so imagine how sweet it would be to find little random love-note surprises everywhere.
10. Wake up early to do all the annoying things on your significant other's daily to-do list so you can spend the whole day together.
Little acts of kindness go a long way, not to mention how much extra time you'll have on Valentine's Day to hang out and do fun things.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.