1. He never asks to hang out before 11 p.m. At worst, he just wants you for sex, and at best, he's trying to avoid taking you out on a real date. Keep in mind that "at best" is relative here unless he's a starving artist or something.
2. He's superficial in almost every conceivable way. No, just because a guy is vain and narcissistic when it comes to everything from his clothes to his hobby, that doesn't mean the same attitude also carries over to his relationships. But a pattern is definitely emerging here.
3. You get the feeling that he hates talking to you. Anytime you do anything that isn't sex/cuddling/fondling, etc. it's something passive like watching TV because you're pretty sure he's doing his best to limit interaction that doesn't involve his penis.
4. Every time he compliments you, it's about something physical. It took you a while to realize that even when he's being nice, he's being nice about your smile, or your legs, or...
5. All your dates are "hanging out at his place." You've even brought it up to him, and he says he never has time to go out. He's always coming up with new excuses—he doesn't want anything serious, or he needs to focus on work—and they're all wearing thin.
6. Your relationship never progresses beyond casual. He never asks you to be his plus-one at a wedding, or brings you to a party with his friends, or introduces you to his parents. It's just lots and lots of (possibly good but likely bad) sex. Because that's all he cares about.
7. He's bragged about you to his friends in ways that have made you nauseated. You've heard through the grapevine that he brags about your sex life, or that he's even shown his friends sexts you've sent him. If it's the second one, it's inexcusable. Break up with him.
8. He leaves if it seems like you're not going to have sex, or doesn't bother showing up. He's never come over when you're sick, and he's basically stormed out when you said you "weren't in the mood."
9. He tries to pressure you into shit you don't want to do. Asking to try anal every once in a while isn't the worst thing a guy can do, but getting angry because you don't want to try things he wants to try is pretty bad.
10. He doesn't respect you. He openly flirts with other women in front of you, or cheats, or ignores your messages for days. That's a pretty strong sign he doesn't care about you, but he's keeping you around for your hot bod. It's also pretty definitive proof he's a piece of shit.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.