1. She’s not a spoiled brat. Don’t assume that she’s used to getting whatever she wants, because it doesn’t work that way. Sure her dad treats her like a princess, but she also knows the value of hard work and dedication. And no, she can’t get away with anything...most of the time.
2. Her standards are pretty high, but reasonable. She witnessed her dad shower her mom with love and respect all her life, but she also knows how to be realistic. Through her old man, she learned that no love is perfect and that sometimes, people fall short, but that doesn’t mean you should love them any less.
3. The day she brings you home to meet her dad is one of the most important days of her life EVER. Because it is the day that her dad has been dreading for the past 20 years, next to giving her away at her wedding. Lol. Also, know that she will never bring you to meet him unless she’s sure about you. Uyyyy.
4. Her dad will probably hate you, like, forever. In his eyes, she will always be his little girl, and you are that ~asshole~ that will take her away from him. The movies were right.
5. Sweep her off her feet by showing genuine effort to get to know her pops and her family. Seeing you try to bond with her dad will melt her heart, because she knows that deep down, you are ready to vomit at any moment. Show respect to her old man, and you’ll have her heart. “Sooooooo tito, did you watch the game yesterday?” is a good line to start with, JSYK.
6. She’s tough. Her old man taught her how to handle herself. So if you make her cry—and you don’t want to do that because her dad could be Liam Neeson, just sayin’—she will cry, but she will know how to get over it like a grown woman. Lesson learned? Don’t make her cry! Because…
7. She will always value her dad’s opinion of you. She’s learned her lesson. She’s dated guys her dad didn’t approve of, and none of them turned out well.
8. She will expect you to be a gentleman like her daddy. She’ll appreciate it if you do little things—open doors, carry her shopping bags, hold her hand when she’s scared. Her dad probably also has one million rules about dating his daughter, and it will mean the world to her if you follow those rules. If he says to have her home by 11, make sure to be at the gate at 10:45. No visiting on Sundays? Okay, noted.
9. Her dad will probably give off that vibe that you’re never enough for his little girl. Banking executive? Meh. Lawyer? Meh. Doctor? Ok lang. Engineer? Meh. Own 10 cars and 17 private islands? Sakto lang. But don’t let that scare you—that’s just him being a dad.
10. But if he sees how happy you make her, he’ll love you, too. If her dad sees how truly happy his little girl is because of you, he’ll ~kind of~ love you too. But he’ll still hate you. That’s just how it works.
Follow Retty on Twitter.