1. He was there for your high school graduation, college graduation, and when you got your first adult job. Oh, and when your first paycheck came, you skipped out on the regular Jollibee celebratory dinner and ate at an overpriced restaurant together because you felt like adults. He was there to celebrate every awesome milestone in your life, which made them even more awesome.
2. You have the absolute best inside jokes and pretty much your own language that no one understands. Like, when someone says they "need Starbucks," you two can't help but crack up because it means something hilarious and kind of inappropriate to you two. Everyone hates it and you get some serious side-eye when it happens, but you're too busy giggling to care.
3. He's seen you at your awkward stages and still thought you were beautiful. If you found someone who thought you were beautiful in braces and side bangs, never let that person go.
4. His siblings consider you their sister. When you started dating, his little sister was, like, 8 and now she's in high school. You watched her grow up, and now she's as much as a little sister to you as you're a big sister to her.
5. He's your OG plus-one, since the prom days. You absolutely crush any party together that requires a fancy dress and a dance floor because you've been doing awful corny dances together since way back when. When the Macarena comes on, your rhythm is so on point you're basically one person.
6. That giggly schoolgirl crush feeling is so real for you. You met him when you were a schoolgirl age and the way that feeling never left is the best.
7. You can't relate to any stories about asshole guys from high school. When your friends talk about the douche they used to date who completely screwed them over, you can't help but to feel #blessed about the guy from high school who you're going home to later.
8. You have a "song." Mix CDs were still a thing when you started dating and yes, you made them for each other all the time. And yes, you deemed "Dilemma" by Nelly as ~*your song*~
9. You appreciate how special your relationship is after being away from each other in college. You passed the apparent "test" that is college because you didn't listen to everyone when they said it was stupid to date through college. It was worth the distance, and you're a much stronger couple for it.
10. Unlike every other person, you don't actually hate your prom pictures. You don't have to cross an X out on your date's face, and those pictures are actually still hanging up around the house.
11. He and only he knows how to create the perfect butter to salt ratio for popcorn. #TrueLove
12. Your parents are extremely close and it's totally normal to receive a selfie of them out to dinner with each other. You've sat through plenty of dinners where they've discussed things like your kids and your wedding. You want to hate it, but their friendship is actually pretty adorable and awesome.
13. You've experienced each other's baggage firsthand. When you meet someone later in life, you have to explain that your dad was kind of a jerk or your parents were super strict, so you have some issues. When you've been dating since your teen years, he just knows that stuff. You share the good and bad memories together, and it creates an insane bond between you two.
14. You're weirdly into long car rides together. Because in high school, car rides were the best way to get away from your parents and have alone time with each other and you still cherish that.
15. He knows exactly what you want in bed because he's been able to learn about your body. Since you both didn't know what you were doing the first time, there was no need to be shy and you were comfortable being confused as hell together. Now though, he doesn't have to think twice about what he's doing to make you feel good. Bonus: You are always down to try new things with each other and it's not scary because there was a time where everything, even "first base," was new.
16.You finally get to do all the things you said you would do when you were older. Those plans you made when you were 15 about living together and eating ice cream after every meal, or going to Amsterdam just to get stoned, can now totally come true. Getting older isn't so bad when you have him by your side.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.