1. You've dated every eligible bachelor by high school.
They might not have been the deepest romances, but you've grown up with every guy in your age group in town.
2. You've awkwardly run into way too many people you know on Tinder.
Oh, man, is that your younger brother's best friend? And his profile just says "ten inches…"
3. You've hooked up with at least one of his friends.
Even if you do find someone worth dating that lives in your postal code, you're going to have a really awkward introduction when you first meet his friends.
4. The new guy you're dating is probably the ex of someone you know.
"No wonder you look so familiar! You dated *insert friend's name here*, right?"
5. Your mom knows him as the guy who vomited all over your house after prom.
The guy who's funny and charming and has a nice job now? He's the same dude who stole a bottle of your parents' wine and vomited in a vase when he was 17.
6. You know everyone's sexual history.
You're having a hard time reconciling your most recent crush since you heard he slept with Maxine, and she's been your mortal enemy ever since she put gum in your hair in gradeschool.
7. Half of the dating pool is already out because you're all friends.
It's a small, close-knit community, and you see some of these people as brothers and sisters.
8. There's no such thing as a "blind date."
That cute gym teacher your friend wants to set you up with? Yeah, that's your friend Brad. The guy who owns a restaurant? You already went on a few dates with him and he's an asshole. At least you pieced together who it was beforehand and not when you showed up for dinner.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.