1. He's stressed out at work, and can't deal with anything. His 14-hour shift at work might be leaving him with barely enough time to sleep, let alone give you the amount of attention you deserve during the week. He's not trying to be distant, he's just trying to juggle everything and stay sane.
2. He's trying to avoid you because he thinks you're still angry about the time he let it slip that he doesn't like your mom. He figures he's still in the doghouse, and the less he says the better. If he doesn't talk to you, he can't dig himself into a deeper hole. If you reach out, he might know he's in the clear.
3. He's just an introvert. Some people like having a few hours to themselves. He might appreciate being able to come home, have a beer, and watch garbage TV without having to talk to anyone. It's not personal.
4. He's depressed. It's hard not to take you partner's depression personally, but this is his battle. Help him by being open and nonjudgmental, and suggesting ways to get help from others if he doesn't feel up to talking to you.
5. He's not that into you anymore. Don't automatically assume the worst, but he might be fading you out.
6. You're out of the "honeymoon" phase. Welcome to the real world, where after six months of posting adorable Facebook updates, people stop acting polite and start acting real.
7. He wants to have a serious talk but doesn't know how to bring it up. He just needs time to work things out in his own head.
8. He thinks you judge his opinions. He might just be clamming up because he thinks you're going to give him hell for saying anything you don't agree with. No one wants to be shat upon for saying they don't really like Jennifer Lawrence.
9. He's mad about something dumb and doesn't want to make a big deal about it. He knows he should cool off before talking to you so he doesn't say anything stupid.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.