Congrats! You and your person (your babe, your boo, whatever you wanna call 'em) have skated right on past the soft launch phase and now it’s time to remind the world that you found love and kept it, damn it. In other words: happy anniversary, you lovebirds. Now you just have to find the perfect anniversary caption to let all of Instagram know that you’re still in love—but not in, like, an annoying way.
Just kidding, that’s the hardest part! Look, here’s the thing: anniversary captions are inherently cringe. (Sorry, it’s nothing personal. Just dealing with the facts here, m'kay?) Does that mean you have to abandon that picture-perfect anniversary post you’ve been planning since literally, oh IDK, your first date? Of course not. It’s your life, your relationship and your Instagram, you should do whatever you want.
It does mean, however, that you pretty much only have one option here. You’re gonna have to lean into the cringe. Now, this can be done in one of two ways. You can either acknowledge the cringe and take the witty, self-aware approach, or you can fail to acknowledge the cringe so blatantly that people will assume you’re being ironic. I’m talking song lyrics. Basic ones. Quotes you literally stole from the home decor section of T.J. Maxx. That shit. This approach is a little tougher to pull off, but done right, your basic friends will be like, “Awh, cute, I’m gonna steal that for my next anniversary caption,” and your cool friends might be fooled into thinking you’re operating on an advanced level of irony. Hopefully, anyway.
Whatever route you decide to take, we have ideas for you. But first, a few tips from me—a person who has never posted an anniversary caption because I think they are boring and embarrassing, but have quietly judged hundreds of them from afar—on nailing the perfect “Hi, yes, we are still in love” post.
- Keep it short and sweet. No one wants your whole love story. Hard truth alert, it’s probably kind of boring anyway. Save it for the “About Us” section of your wedding website or whatever.
- No one cares about your hardships. Your “ups and downs” and “bumps in the road” and “everything we’ve been through”? Yeah, boring. You guys are a couple, not like, pioneers forging a new life in the great unknown. Whatever trials and tribulations you’ve faced are not nearly as interesting as you think, promise.
- For the love of god, banish the phrase “thanks for putting up with me” from your vocabulary. Not only is it basic as hell, but it’s also kind of weird and sad? Like, it’s your partner, they’re not “putting up with you.” And if they make you feel like they are, well, time to say bye bye.
Okay, now that that’s out of the way, here are enough ideas to inspire your anniversary captions for years to come. Yes, you can literally just steal them, I don’t care.
If you don’t wanna sound basic (but know you will anyway)
- Insert obligatory cringe anniversary caption here.
- Just your annual reminder that yes, we’re still in love.
- Bet you thought we'd break up by now!
- Content Warning: Sincerity. But, yes, I am still very much in love with this person and want the world to know.
- Hi, yes, we are still in love. That's all, thanks.
If every song reminds you of them:
- “Take my hand and take my whole life too.” —Elvis Presley, Can’t Help Falling in Love
- “Seven years and it's been you and I, always” —Charli XCX, 7 Years (Obviously this one only works if it’s a seven-year anniversary, but hard opportunity to pass up!)
- “I've loved you three summers now, honey, but I want ’em all.” —Taylor Swift, Lover (Okay, once again, only works if it’s been three years and, ideally, if your anniversary is in the summer.)
- “I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you.” —Ben Folds, The Luckiest
- “Everywhere I’m looking now, I’m surrounded by your embrace. Baby, I can see your halo. You know you’re my saving grace.” —Beyoncé, Halo
- “I'm begging for you to take my hand, wreck my plans, that’s my man.” —Taylor Swift, Willow
- “We go together like sound and sight, black and white, day and night. We go together like left and right. Oh, we go together.” —Vampire Weekend, We Belong Together
- “You and me, forevermore.” —Taylor Swift, New Year’s Day. (If you think there’s too much T-Swift on this list there’s actually not nearly enough.)
If you’re all in your feels:
- The best love stories never end.
- I said yes to a life with you.
- Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours.
- Today, tomorrow, always.
- Can’t wait to grow old with you by my side.
If you’re a badass:
- Just your annual reminder that we’re still fucking.
- Yep, we’re still together, haters.
- I’m only posting this so all the dudes in my DMs know I’m spoken for, thanks.
- The five-year anniversary is wood? Please, I get that every morning.
- Wouldn’t trade you for anyone.* *Except Harry Styles.
- Annual reminder to my [insert husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, honey, etc.] that today is our anniversary!
- Just posting this so my [insert husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, honey, etc.] doesn’t forget our anniversary this year.
If you’re in a movie-worthy marriage:
- “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.” —Lord of the Rings
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul, that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” —The Notebook
- “I love you even when you’re sick and look disgusting.” —Love Actually
- “I’m in love, I'm in love and I don’t care who knows it!” - Elf (I mean this obviously works best if your anniversary is near the holidays, but still cute either way.)
- “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows…but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One moment you’re enjoying your life, and the next you’re wondering how you ever lived without them.” —Hitch
- “I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once-in-a-lifetime love.” —The Vow
- “When I look at you, I can feel it. I look at you, and I’m home.” —Finding Nemo
If you reached that one-year milestone:
- One year down, forever to go.
- 365 days of smiles, snuggles, and forgetting to take the trash out.
- Ready for another trip around the sun?
- 1 year. 12 months. 52 weeks. 365 days. You do the math.
If you’re, like, married married:
- When did we become an old married couple?
- Married but not weird about it.
- Happy wife, happy life.
- Love may be blind, but marriage is a real eye-opener.
- Here’s to another year with my better half.
- A “perfect” marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
If you need to borrow a quote:
- “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.” —Julia Child
- “The best thing to hold on to in life is each other.” —Audrey Hepburn
- “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” —Maya Angelou
- “We loved with a love that was more than love.” —Edgar Allan Poe
- “I saw that you were perfect and I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” —Angelita Lim
- “Grow old with me, the best is yet to be.” —Robert Browning
If you started your journey as friends:
- Part-time lover, full-time friend.
- Dating your best friend is like getting 11 chicken nuggets when you ordered only 10.
- If you’re not dating your best friend, WYD?
- Marriage is just a suuuper-long slumber party with your bestie.
- Okay, yes, the whole "I'm in love with my best friend" thing is boring and played out, but it's also fun as hell?
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.
Cosmopolitan Philippines is now on Quento! Click here to download the app and enjoy more articles and videos from Cosmo and your favorite websites!