Getting back up on your feet (and TBH out of your bed) can be really hard after a heartbreak. But no matter how many times you swear that you'll just be alone forever and ever, you know that just isn't true. The best part of a heartbreak is that it eventually ends, and sometimes, it ends just around the time you meet someone NEW and GREAT.
1. You already know that you're strong enough to survive a nasty breakup.
Sure, you know how bad it can hurt but you also know that it's nothing you can't get through, and that lets you relax and take more chances in your new relationship.
2. It makes you excited about the idea of love for the first time in a long time.
Finally, that pesky urge to throw spitballs at every passing couple goes away a little because now you are one of those passing couples. ENJOY THIS MOMENT.
3. You get to learn how someone new kisses and hugs and touches and it's all super exciting.
Literally, is there anything better than kissing new people? No. There is not.
4. It's a chance to make new memories in places where you might have bad ones.
The coffee shop where Adam tried to break up with you that one night no longer has to make you cry just from thinking about it, because you can take this new partner there and make beautiful coffee-fueled memories with them.
5. You're better at the little things that make a relationship go smoothly, like good communication and learning to make space.
Basically all dating is just practice for more dating. So if you're doing it at all, you're getting better at it one relationship at a time.
6. You know more about what you do and don't like from a partner.
And you're less scared to just tell this new partner when they're doing something that bugs you, because if you learned anything from your ex, it's that there's only so much room to compromise on things that are truly important to you in a relationship.
7. You get to remember how great it is to have a go-to "dinner tonight?" person.
Not that doing things alone and with friends isn't sometimes the best, but maybe the best part of being in a relationship is having someone who will come over and flop around with you on the couch and call it "hanging out." Truly one of life's greatest pleasures is having someone to do nothing with.
8. You get to try new things in bed and learn new things about your ~sexual preferences~.
We're all just floating around in this world, getting better at having sex with other humans and learning new things that make us feel good and great.
9. It's a new person to tell all your favorite life stories to for the first time.
One of the best things about meeting someone new is getting to share yourself with them. It's great to be known by other people! Intimacy. A truly fun thing.
10. You realize you're actually incredibly lovable and dateable, and not everyone will hurt you like your ex did.
Guess what, all those things your friends were telling you when you were crying over your ex are true. You are not a bad person, you are not unlovable—you are, in fact, a true gem! Sometimes it just takes someone saying they wanna be with you to fully realize that, and it's okay. We're all ~human~.
11. You get introduced to a whole new set of potential favorite places and date spots.
Everyone has different places they like to take their dates to, and now you've just doubled yours. Nothing wrong with stealing romantic ideas from all your life's partners.
12. You know that if this relationship does end, there will always be someone out there who's better for you.
You thought love was dead when things ended with your ex but then you met this person, who's better in so many ways. Plenty of fishes, as they say. It's real. You haven't met most of the people you'll know yet, and TBH that is so comforting.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.