Ladies, we aren't the only ones who love a little sweet talk every now and then. Your boyfriend is also human! Like you, he has days when work sucked, and he needs a pep talk. He also probably has his moments when he's deep in his feels and wants your support. Other times, he might just look so effing hot that he'll appreciate some verbal validation.
If you've been #blessed with "words of affirmation" as your love language (hi, it me), you know how amazing compliments can make people feel. And even if expressing your emotions doesn't come naturally to you, saying sweet things to your man could be the difference between him having a good and a great day. It's really that simple.
For inspo, here are 20 no-fail things to say to remind your man that you love him, miss him, respect him, support him, and, oh yeah, can't wait to rip his clothes off.
If he looks sexy AF today...
- "Your butt looks amazing in those jeans." Fact: Beautifully toned boy butts do not get the attention they deserve.
- "You are so handsome." This is the man's version of being called "beautiful" instead of "hot." Handsome is an all-encompassing compliment that can refer to his style, eyes, clothes, smile, and soul all at once.
- "I love the feeling of being wrapped up in your arms." A friendly reminder that you love being physically close to him—and damn, those long hours at the gym have paid off.
- "You look just like Ryan Reynolds with your hair like that." Don't you like it when he compares you to Blake Lively? ...Exactly.
If you're in a mushy mood...
- "You're my lover and my best friend." No need to spread it on thick. Just simply be honest, and you'll melt his heart into buttah.
- "One day, you're going to make such an amazing dad." Only long-time committed relationships who want kids in the future need apply here. But, if you two have already talked about love, marriage, and a baby carriage, then tap into the softer side of his manliness and remind him how excited you are about your future together.
- "I like you and I love you." If laying on the cheese isn't normally your thing, ease into it with a cute TV quote—a little Parks & Recreation is a no-fail.
- "You still give me butterflies after all this time." *Gag*... but mostly, awwww!
If he had a bad day at work...
- "I picked up a bottle of red wine and a pizza." As they say, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. And let's be honest: Pizza is pretty much always the answer. Let him know that when he leaves the workplace circa 5:00 p.m., he can leave his stress there, come home, and unwind with a few slices.
- "You crushed your last big client presentation. Even though you're stressed, I know you can do it again." Be his biggest cheerleader. Remind him of his past successes so he can wake up tomorrow and head to the office with a positive outlook.
- "I love how driven you are." Men like to fix things—it's a testosterone-fueled, competitive thing that makes them want to solve problems. Verbalize that you find his hard work and problem-solving skills attractive, and he will feel seen.
- "Let's invite Mark to join us for a road trip this weekend. He's fun to hang out with." Take it upon yourself to make some awesome weekend plans, giving him something to be excited about after a rough week. Bonus points if you invite his bestie to tag along, showing him that you like his friends and he doesn't have to choose between his two worlds to be cheered up.
If you're in a long-distance relationship...
- "Sponge Cola just came on the radio! It made me miss you." When you're not physically together, the little things will remind you of each other. Whether it's his favorite band on the radio, a dog on the street that's the breed you both want to adopt, or a commercial on TV you always laugh at together, let him know you're still thinking of him on the day-to-day.
- "Good morning, babe ;) [Insert sexy photo here.]" Men are visual creatures. Photo evidence of what he's missing with a simple "good morning" text will wake him up way faster than a good ol' cup of joe.
- "I have a special date night planned for the next time we're together." Arranging fun, futuristic plans for the next time you're together in real-time gives you both something to look forward to. You can be vague and keep it a surprise, or let him know you already made a reservation for two at that new French restaurant. Either way, it's thoughtful and shows you're still engaged in the relationship from afar.
- "I'm wearing your hoodie right now and it smells like you." Even if they say it drives them crazy, men totally love when we steal their hoodies because they know it's a sign of affection. Plus, we look soooo cute and cozy in them, so go ahead and send a selfie of that, too.
If he's just bummed out...
- "I'll give you space to decompress and enjoy some 'me' time." While women generally love to vent, some men may find solitude in processing their thoughts internally and working it out themselves. In some cases, he may even shut down further if he's worried he's upsetting you with his mood. Letting him have a few hours to do his thang without any talky-talky about feelings will certainly lift his spirits.
- "Sorry you're feeling down. Who should I Subtweet rn?" Expressing sincere sympathy and adding a touch of humor will turn his frown upside down.
- "I'm here to listen if you want to talk about it." "Do you want to talk about it?" can feel like a stifling question to men. Let him know you're there for him if he wants to open up, but give him the okay to pass on your offer if he'd prefer to wallow in his own way.
- *Hand him a beer, turn on the game, and say nothing.* Because actions speak louder than words, and your presence next to him might be the only thing he needs right now.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.