I was recently scrolling through TikTok (as one does), and I noticed that tie-dye clothing seems to be trendy again. It's been around forever, but it has recently made a comeback as one of this year's hottest fashion trends, due to four factors:
- It's easy to DIY. It only requires four steps!
- You can choose the colors you like and what kind of pattern to create.
- You're not just limited to shirts—you can create a tie-dye print on virtually any kind of plain clothing or plain fabric you have.
- It falls under thrift flipping, which, ICYDK, is another one of our obsessions!
There is no limit on the designs you can create, so feel free to let your imagination run ~wild~. Below, we list down the materials you need and step-by-step instructions to guide you:
How to Tie-Dye Your Clothes
What you need:
- Plain shirt or tank top
- Rubber bands
- Fabric dye
- Plastic bag
- Crumple up your shirt and secure it with thick rubber bands. The tighter you make it, the cooler patterns you can create.
- Apply some dye on the patterns. You can do any color combo you want!
- When you're done, place your shirt in a plastic bag and leave it for a full day to let the dyes saturate the garment.
- After 24 hours, take out the shirt from the plastic bag and unfurl it. Toss your ~creation~ inside the washing machine (with no other garments to avoid bleeding of color) before wearing it.
For a more in-depth tutorial, watch LaurDIY's video below:
Follow Cheska on Instagram.