It’s been over a year since I’ve committed to lighter locks, or as I fondly call it, fake blonde. In the last 14 months of sporting golden tresses, I have tried every conditioning product I've seen. ICYDK, when your tresses are bleached, they get damaged. Their natural color is chemically stripped, weakening the protective coating of each follicle.
What saved my strands from completely dying? A weekly dollop of hair mask.
Just like a regular conditioner, a hair mask bathes your hair in hydration and nourishment. The only difference is the latter also repairs thirsty strands. You also leave it on longer, which gives you salon-like results. Using it once a week is enough to resurrect your mane, but I sometimes do it every three days to avoid tangles.
Below, I round up the products that keep my dyed locks soft and healthy:
1. This prevents hair color from fading and moisturizes each strand without weighing it down.
L’Oreal Professionel Vitamino AOx Jelly Masque, Basement Salon
2. Made for locks that have gone through a beating (bleached, permed, or straightened), this is loaded with natural ingredients that bring your hair back to life.
Davines Nounou Hair Mask, P1,710, HairMNL
3. I turn to this product when I’m rushing—a regular hair mask calls for at least 15 minutes of soaking time and this will do its wonders in just three minutes.
Pantene 3-Minute Miracle Damage Care, P259, The SM Store
4. On days when I think my ends are turning into straw, I drench them in this restoring treatment for 20 minutes.
Kérastase Resistance Masque Therapiste, Jing Monis Salon
5. To prevent the vibrancy of your locks from fading, I use this fancy mask with diamond dust.
Wella Brilliance Treatment, David’s Salon
6. When I want to give my stressed tresses a breather, I treat them to a honey and coconut oil mask. Both ingredients draw in moisture and smell so good. I have to warn you: This mixture may be too sticky for your liking, but it’s totally worth a try!
Follow Ira on Instagram.