Beauty girls know the struggle of trying to fit makeup into one reasonably-sized kikay kit. If you don’t want to end up with a kit that will eat up half the space of your bag, here are some tips you should know:
1. Cut down on your load. Get a good-sized makeup kit and commit to avoid overloading it. Another tip is to check the products that you already have. If you carry makeup that already comes with a mirror, don’t bring an extra compact mirror.
2. Get travel-sized products. Like, instead of trying to fit in your full-sized brushes into your kit, get yourself good quality travel size brushes instead—they don’t take up a lot of space. Also, using brushes is more sanitary than just using your fingers. (Because you really should stop touching your face if you want to stop frequent breakouts!)
3. Smell your makeup. No, seriously! If your liquids and creams smell funky, toss them out. You don’t need to lug around makeup that you can’t even use.
4. Get multi-taskers. Get palettes instead of individual products. They might be a little more expensive, but you will get your money’s worth. Opt for blush and bronzer duos, eye shadow quads, lip and cheek tints, and the like. When it comes to your brow products, use a pencil that comes with a spoolie on the other end, so you won’t have to bring an extra brush.
5. Get rid of your one million lippies. I don’t know about you, but every time I clean my bag, I always end up fishing out five to seven tubes of lipstick that I don’t even remember using in the past week. Yikes. Having one nude, one statement color, and one lip balm in your kit is enough. (Read: The Only 4 Lippies You Need In Your Life)
6. Use Ziploc bags. Keep your essentials—like cotton buds and sharpeners—clean by storing them in small, resealable bags that you can toss inside your kit.
7. Pack the night before. Try to make it a habit to unpack your kit from your purse when you get home at night and leave it on your vanity. When you get ready in the morning, use your products and only toss back the ones that you’ll be needing for the day.
8. Remember that you don’t need everything. You don’t need to bring colored eyeliners to work. You don’t need to bring your trusty smoky eye palette for Sunday brunch. And you definitely don’t need your purple lipstick for lunch with your boyfriend’s parents. Before you toss your products inside your kit, think about where you’re going and what look you’ll be doing. And as in all things in life, self-control is key.
Follow Retty on Twitter.