When Legally Blonde hit theaters 15 years ago, Elle Woods immediately stole our hearts (and movie screens) with her pink outfits, cute dog and sharp comebacks. To celebrate the monumental anniversary, here are some behind-the-scenes secrets about your favorite lawyer movie.
1. Reese's own friend, Molly Stern, made the dress she wears in the break-up scene with Warner.
That iconic pink dress!
2. To prepare for the role, Reese went to the University of Southern California and spent time with the sorority girls there, had dinner with them, and went to their meetings.
She also sat in on law classes at Loyola Law School and watched women in Beverly Hills buying shoes and eating lunch.
3. Reese booked the role of Elle soon after she gave birth, so MGM hired a personal trainer to help her shed the weight she gained during her pregnancy.
4. Reese got to keep all 60 outfits that she wore in the film.
5. Amanda Brown, author of the original Legally Blonde book, actually went to Stanford Law.
She decided she wanted to go there after seeing the Stanford Shopping Center, and she checked out the Polo Store and Neiman's after her interview.
6.The idea for Legally Blonde came from letters Amanda Brown wrote home while she was attending Stanford Law School.
She wrote all the letters on pink paper with a pink furry pen. Very Elle Woods.
7. The screenwriter Karen McCullah Lutz wrote the scene where Elle asks her sorority sisters to vote about toilet paper based on an experience in her own sorority house at James Madison University.
"We were denied our toilet paper. I offered my sorority sisters activity points for stealing replacement rolls from the administration building," McCullah Lutz told Montpelier, the James Madison University magazine.
8. The magazine Elle gives Brooke in jail is the August 2000 issue of Cosmopolitan.
9. Reese and costume designer Sophie de Rakoff, decided pink should be Elle's signature color after visiting a sorority house together.
IRL, Reese and Sophie bonded over their love for Dolly Parton.
10. Christina Applegate had the opportunity to play Elle, but turned down the movie because she was scared to play another ditzy blonde after having just played a similar character in Married… with Children.
11. Matt Davis, who played Warner, had such a huge crush on Reese that one time the producers pulled him aside and asked if he was OK.
He eventually told Witherspoon how he felt, and she responded by saying it was sweet, but they should go back to work.
12. Elle's dog Bruiser was really named Moonie, and Reese posted an Instagram of the two of them when she found out Moonie had passed away in March.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.