One star who really made 2009 her year is Maja Salvador, and this did not go unnoticed by Cosmo, which is precisely why for our December issue (a Celeb special at that), we simply had to have her on our cover. Not only did her role in the afternoon soap Nagsimula sa Puso mark her first starrer, it also marked her graduation from purely pa-tweetums roles-a dream come true for any star who wants to pursue a serious acting career. She also ventured into other challenging genres, such as the thriller Metro Manila Film Fest entry Shake, Rattle and Roll XI, where she played Diablo-a character she really is proud to have portrayed. Maja has had a busy year, with endorsements, soaps, and movie projects all lined up.
It seems there's a wealth of things to know about this sweet-faced and talented young star, so Cosmo thought of asking her to tell us her list of top five things in various categories. Read Maja's Top Five and get to know our stunning cover girl (and showbiz's upcoming BIG star) better.
Top Five Favorite Roles
- April, from the Maalaala Mo Kaya episode "Regalo" (2006). Maja played a girl afflicted with cerebral palsy-a role that bagged her a nomination from the PMPC Star Awards.
- Ruby Gomez, from the telenovela Pangarap na Bituin (2007). She portrayed the youngest girl in the pop trio Jewel Sisters (with Rica Peralejo and Sarah Geronimo rounding up the trio).
- Trisha, from the film One More Chance (2007). "Andaming naka-relate sa character ko," referring to the "rebound" girl of John Lloyd Cruz's character who broke up with his girlfriend, played by Bea Alonzo [link to our interview with her].
- Joya, from Sukob (2006), her first movie ever-a horror film starring Kris Aquino and Claudine Barreto. Maja recounts that this is the role that made her rake in her first acting awards. "Andami kong napanalunang awards dun," she said with a beam. These include awards from Golden Screen Awards and PMPC Star Awards for Movies, which named her best new actress of that year. She also received Best Supporting Actress nominations from FAMAS and PASADO Awards for the same role.
- Celina, from the afternoon drama Nagsimula sa Puso (2009), based on the 1990 film of the same title, starring Hilda Koronel and Richard Gomez. This is her first starring role in a teleserye.
Top Five Favorite Leading Men
- John Lloyd Cruz - "Iba ang pakiramdam ko sa bawat eksena, kumbaga nadadala ka sa galing niya."
- Rayver Cruz - "Kasi kahit 20 or 21 na kami feeling namin bata pa rin kami. Kumbaga, nag-eenjoy lang kami sa work."
- Coco Martin - "Magaling na artista, marami akong natututunan sa kanya."
- Jason Abalos - "Napakabait kasi niya."
- Jay-R Siaboc - "Nakilala ang love team namin sa ‘Pangarap na Bituin,' aso't pusa kami roon." They also teamed up in Komiks Presents: Kapitan Boom.
Top Five Actors She Hopes To Work With
- Piolo Pascual. "Feeling mo ‘pag kasama mo si Piolo ikaw na ang pinakamagandang babae (sa mundo)."
- Sam Milby, who reportedly admitted to having a crush on her
- Jericho Rosales, her co-star in Pangarap na Bituin
- Aga Muhlach, who is frequently paired with younger female stars. "Baka makasali pa tayo dun," she quipped.
- Dennis Trillo, whom she had no qualms including, even if he's from the rival network. "Magaling kasi siyang artista."
Top Five Favorite Outfits
- Tank top and jeans
- Loose white shirts
Top Five Beauty Tips
- Always drink eight-or more-glasses of water a day.
- Remove your makeup before hitting the sack.
- Always wear sunscreen.
- Drink Vitamin E.
- Add a little mascara.