They’re fun, fearless, female—emphasis on the FEARLESS. In honor of International Women’s Day, we round up some butt-kicking film and TV heroines we’d totally invite to a weekend hang. Share your own fave tough girls in the comments below!
1. Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games film series)
Katniss has fantastic survival skills—great for camping trips!—not to mention is a total softie when it comes to her loved ones. She can be a bit of a downer, but who wouldn’t be in her situation, amirite?
2. Tris Prior (Divergent film series)
Tris had no fighting game when she joined Dauntless, but she kept her eyes on the prize and came out stronger than ever, even snagging herself a major hunk in the process. Talk about inspirational.
3. Daenerys Targaryen (Game of Thrones TV series)
Daenerys went from letting herself be pushed around by her nasty older brother to being a dragon-toting queen out to reclaim the Seven Kingdoms—and she did all that looking flawless AF. We’d love to trade beauty tips with this fiery babe.
4. Princess Leia Organa (Star Wars film series)
This princess is no damsel in distress. She’s a total cowboy, holding her own in the ranks of the Rebellion and shooting the hell out of the Galactic Empire’s henchmen—all while keeping her cinnamon buns in impeccable condition.
5. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter film series)
Although Muggle-born, this firecracker is sharp as a whip and often outsmarts her peers. We’ve found the perfect weapon for quiz night!
6. Prue, Piper, and Phoebe Halliwell and Paige Matthews (Charmed TV series)
Remember these sisters-slash-witches? Like any group of girls, they bicker sometimes, but they always stick together. The Power of Three, indeed.
7. Natalie Cook, Dylan Sanders, and Alex Munday (Charlie’s Angels film series)
The three chicks of the Charlie’s Angels reboot may be kind of ditzy, but they can kick serious ass and are always up for fun costumes and role playing. Count us in!
8. Gracie Hart (Miss Congeniality film series)
She may have been an ugly duckling at the start, but Gracie proves that you can be beautiful and strong at the same time. Plus, how can you not like someone who’s all for world peace?
9. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series)
Only Buffy can stay cool in the face of vampires, demons, and other gnarly creatures. We’re totes running to her when shit hits the fan.
10. Sydney Bristow (Alias TV series)
Sweet-faced Sidney speaks 25 languages and can take down any asshole in a fight—a powerful combo that would make her a great travel buddy in some dodgy land.
11. Trinity (The Matrix film series)
Besides being able to execute a mean flying kick to ward off creeps, Trinity is intensely loyal to the people she believes in. Aww.
12. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider film series)
Every trip with Lara is bound to be an adventure. And maybe if we hang out with her long enough, her off-the-charts sex appeal will rub off on us, too.
Follow Cheekie on Twitter.