Panelo Says There's No Need To Suspend Government Work Amid The COVID-19 Threat

"We have the best containment," the presidential spokesperson claims.
PHOTO: FACEBOOK/ OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENTIAL SPOKESPERSON

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo says there is no need to suspend work in government offices amid the threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country.

He told Radyo Inquirer that suspending government work is not yet necessary because the government offices are not crowded anyway. 

“I don’t think we have reached that level (to suspend government work). We should not panic. Tayo nga ang [may] pinakamagandang containment (We have the best containment of the disease), he added. 

Meanwhile, senators and labor groups are still calling for adjusted working arrangements for the private sector. 

In public and private schools, classes have been suspended by their respective local government units. However, according to Panelo, suspension in private schools is still up to the school's administration. "Discretion sa kanila ‘yan (That’s their discretion). If they feel their schoolchildren are safe [that way], they can do that," he said. 

On March 7, the Department of Health raised Code Red Sub-level 1 on COVID-19 after the confirmation of the first local transmission in the country. President Rodrigo Duterte has since then agreed to declare a state of public health emergency. 

Continue reading below ↓

The sixth case of the virus and the first case of local transmission involves a 59-year-old female who presented with cough. She was admitted to the Research Institute of Tropical Medicine (RITM) on March 5 and is currently in stable condition.

Continue reading below ↓
Recommended Videos

Follow Sheila on Instagram.

Sorry, no results were found for