Sorry, no results were found for

Health Vlogger Shares Photos After Scary Allergic Reaction To Henna Hair Dye

'The most scary part about this whole thing is that my eyes were completely swollen shut.'

Not all fresh dye jobs are good news, and sometimes switching your hair color can lead to allergic reactions, as a health & fitness vlogger discovered the hard way. When Chemese Armstrong found out that's she allergic to a common component in hair dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD), she turned to henna, believing it to be a safer option.

Use of henna hair dye was recommended to Chemese by her dermatologist. Sadly, she reacted even worse to henna than she did to PPD, and her face swelled up so much that she couldn't see out of her eyes, while her scalp burned and itched.

Shared shared pictures of the painful reaction on Instagram, and wrote in the caption: "I was in severe pain from my scalp burning and itching with my face completely's swollen to the point I was unrecognisable. The most scary part about this whole thing is that my eyes was completely swollen shut where I couldn't see for 2 days.

"My doctor was afraid that it was going to start affecting my breathing which that didn't happen and as of today my eyes are open and I can see again but my face is still very swollen (I don't look like myself)."

Thankfully, Chemese added that she is "not in any more pain and I feel things are heading in the right direction.

"I hate that this had to happen but now I'm even more focus on making sure that my health is number one priority."

It goes to show that even seemingly 'safe' alternatives don't come without risks and—as Chemese warned in a follow-up YouTube video—it's crucial that you're mindful of what you put on your body. Watch her talk about her experience in the video below:


***
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.co.uk. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors. 

Continue reading below ↓