Today is National Red Lipstick Day! So, to celebrate this
fake super important day, I've gathered a list of the struggles that scarlet lip lovers (like me) deal with on an everyday basis. Because TBH, it's a high-maintenance hue.
1. You can't drink without a straw. Well, you can. But then you'll end up with an unintentional ombré effect (because the center of your pout will fade from whatever you're sipping on). Plus, your water glass, soda can, or Starbucks lid ends up covered in Grandma-esque kiss marks. Bright side: You always know which drink is yours.
2. Eating a sandwich isn't cute. You'll probably end up with red smeared on your nose, your chin, and all over your panini.
3. Men think you're making obscene gestures at them...when you're doing the suck-your-finger-to-get-lipstick-off-your-teeth trick.
4. Passing out in makeup means waking up with a red polka dot pillowcase. But whatever—nothing a little bleach can't fix, right?
5. Impromptu makeouts are a guaranteed mess. And if you even try to deny to your BFF or roomie that you were having a smoochfest, a glimpse at your S.O. (or your face, actually) instantly blows your cover.
6. You have to exfoliate your lips. Every. Damn. Night. Constantly wearing highly pigmented lipstick (if you're not wearing a moisturizing one) can dry out your lips, leaving them flaky. Sound familiar? If so, you're probably familiar with the old exfoliate-your-lips-with-balm-and-a-toothbrush-or-spoolie trick.
7. You accidentally overline when you're in a rush. But, then again, Kylie Jenner has made this a non-problem. Thanks, KJ!
8. You've had the same convo with friends, coworkers, and strangers eleventeen thousand times.
Them: I wish I could pull that off. Me: You can. Them: OMG, no, I couldn't. Me: Trust me, you just swipe it on and that's it! Easy peasy.
9. You can't carry a cute little purse because you always need at least liner, lipstick and a compact on you at all times. Right, I guess you do need to carry your phone, wallet, and keys.
10. If you don't wear it one day, everyone thinks you're sick or something. This is because they're so used to you looking like a freaking boss 24/7.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.