1. Plan out your looks. Think of the place you’re going to. Will it be sunny? Going somewhere cold? The weather at your destination will greatly affect what you'll bring in your kikay kit. It also helps to make a list of all your essentials and remove products little by little.
2. Be smart about your tools. If you’re one to use hot tools on your hair every day, it would be smarter to invest in compact travel-sized tools. Remember, however, that most hotels and rooms for rent already come with blow dryers that you can use without having to worry about the plugs in different countries—so that’s one thing off your list!
3. Get your treatments done before you set off. Shave your legs, get your nails done and have your brows shaped before you go on a trip. This means that you don’t have to lug around extra beauty products like shaving cream, razors, tweezers, and nail polishes!
4. Go for sachets and sample sizes. You may not buy shampoo and conditioner in sachets regularly, but you might have a few collecting dust in your drawers somewhere. Instead of bringing your full bottles of shampoo, use sachets or sample-sized toiletries instead. What’s more is you don’t have to bring them back home with you, so you have extra space and weight allowance for new things! Apply the same rule for your favorite perfume—ask for sample sizes at the department store; they’d gladly give it to you for free.
5. Bust out those travel containers. Get travel-sized clear containers and transfer your non-negotiables like your facial wash, moisturizer, sunscreen, and face mask. You’ll be amazed by how much space you can save.
6. Bring your fave multitaskers. When traveling, BB creams and tinted moisturizers are the way to go for your base, because they can offer you almost everything that you need.
7. Seal everything to be safe. Nothing is as stressful as opening your suitcase only to find your clothes stained with shampoo and body wash. Before you pack your products, seal them using tape. If you want to be SUPER sure, wrap them individually in small plastic bags.
8. Bring palettes. Bring a flexible eye and cheek palette that you can use to create various looks. In her book This Is Me Love Marie, celebrity and jet-setter Heart Evangelista shares that she always brings a neutral-colored eyeshadow palette when she travels. Aside from the looks that she can create, she also says that because they’re flat, they’re super easy to slip inside your suitcase as opposed to individual products.
9. Store your brushes in a pencil case. Keep your brushes from collecting dirt by storing them in a pencil case—no need to buy expensive brush cases! Maximize that kit by throwing in other essentials like pills, Band-Aids, cotton buds, and more.
10. Put a sock on your flat iron. Protect your flat iron from breakage and damage by slipping it into an old long sock.
11. If you wear contacts, get yourself dailies for a trip. This works especially if you didn’t pay for check-in luggage. Daily disposable contacts give you the luxury of only having to bring a small bottle of solution.
12. Bring clear resealable bags. If you want to carry liquids in your carry-on bag, be sure to comply with TSA rules and bring only products that are 3 ounces or less in quart-sized resalable bags. There are no limits to how many you can bring, as long as you are able to zip the bag.
13. Placement matters. To lessen the chances of your products spilling, place them in between your clothes so that they can “cushion” them. Don’t place them on top of your clothes or by the zippers—that might ruin them.
What are other travel beauty hacks that you swear by? We’d love to know! Comment below!
Follow Retty on Instagram.