1. Contouring isn’t required. Most round-faced girls make the immediate assumption that dramatic contouring is the only way to add dimension to their faces. But you don’t need to go to that extent to bring out your features. You just have to be smart about the placement of your makeup to create a softer version of contour.
2. Rounding out your brows is a huge no-no. To balance out your features, go for high-arched brows. Rounded brows will only make your face appear fuller, so you lose shape and dimension.
3. You can totally get full bangs. You can definitely pull off bangs as long as you get the right type. Opt for full bangs that aren’t the same length. Make sure that the outer pieces are longer—which can create the illusion of a slimmer face. Also, mind the length in front! Be make sure your brows still show which can help lengthen your face.
4. Be smart about the placement of your blush, highlighter, and bronzer. Apply your blush below your cheekbones instead of the apples of your cheeks. For your bronzer, layer it just below where you put your blush to add depth. Don’t forget to warm up the rest of your face by bringing your bronzer up your temples, especially near the hairline. Finish the look off with some highlighter on the high points of your face. Basically, the goal is to look as flawless as Sarah Geronimo:
5. Contouring isn’t just for the face. Remember that you can actually contour your hair, too! If you want your face to appear a little slimmer, book a trip to the salon and ask your hair colorist to do it. Hair contouring utilizes darker hair tones to create shadows on the face, creating the illusion of a slimmer face and chiseled cheekbones.
6. Get bold lips. If you’re shy about drawing attention to your face, focus on one feature that you love, like your lips. Paint your puckers with your favorite look-at-me color of your choice.
7. Make your eyes stand out. Bring out your features by going all-out with your eye makeup. We love this sexy and soft smoky eye on Coleen Garcia. It was blended out so well that it makes the eye look “lived in.” If you're feeling a little daring, go for colored contacts and lots of lashes!
Follow Retty on Instagram.