1. "It was my best friend's wedding. She was marrying a twin. I had a few drinks and started making out with who I thought was the groom's twin. As he was undressing me my best friend walks in. I was sleeping with her newly-wedded husband. As you can probably imagine they got a divorce soon there after. And we're not friends anymore. But he and I are engaged getting married in June!" —Lindsey, 25
2. "A year ago, I was a bridesmaid in a wedding. The guy I hooked up with and I had previously met two years before the wedding and we dated for a bit but I pulled the plug. I wanted a relationship and lo and behold, he wanted to mess around and that was it. Anyways, during the reception I received a text message saying, "Wow! You look beautiful," from him. After some back and forth texts, he came up to me, grabbed my hand and took me to the elevator. We got in the elevator, somehow he made the door "lock" and we started hooking up. It was so steamy because of the risk of anyone being able to walk in on us. He had me pushed up against the wall and it was just so hot. When it was over, we walked out of the elevator and ran into his parents...I kept walking because I did not want an awkward introduction. We haven't seen each other since, but we do exchange the occasional text message." —Clare, 23
3. "I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding a couple months ago, and during the rehearsal a week prior a groomsman and I kept checking each other out. It wasn't until the day of the wedding when he finally approached me. After a couple drinks and conversation we were really feeling each other so he left to go to the store and get condoms. Upon his return he picked me up and we drove to the next street over (the wedding was at my cousins house) and we had sex in his car in some random neighbor's driveway. Turns out the rest of the wedding party was looking for us the whole time and rumors started to circulate. We quickly shut them down. We planned on seeing each other again, but then I found out he has a fiancé and two kids! (Neither of whom were at the wedding). Needless to say I never saw him again." —Kelly, 22
4. "I was at my sister's wedding and since we're only about two years apart we share a lot of the same friends. When I got to the wedding the first person I saw was the groom. He's super hot and literally every girl that has ever known him has had a crush on him, including me. When I looked at him I noticed that his tie wasn't tied right and I offered to fix it. Then he told me he was still debating on three different ties and asked if I could help him decide. He brought me to a back room where he and all the best men were supposed to be getting ready but they hadn't arrived yet so it was just me and him. Once we decided on a tie I noticed that he obviously didn't know how to tie a it, so I started to do it for him. Our bridesmaids dresses were very long so when I stepped closer I tripped and fell towards him but he caught me. We were pressed up against each other and when our eyes met we just stared at each other. He kissed me and I was too in the moment to tell him to stop. He threw me on the couch and literally ripped my dress off. He began to kiss me all over and the rest is history." —Maggie, 27
5. "I was a bridesmaid in a wedding and I was paired with a very hot groomsman. His girlfriend was at the wedding and definitely did not like me from the beginning. He and I were flirty from the get go and spent all day together. He even came and hung out in my room in between the ceremony and reception, and we kissed. I honestly didn't even see his girlfriend most of the night because he was with me. At the end of the night we were talking and she came over and shoved me. Then she started screaming and I quickly walked away. I had to see them the next morning at brunch which was so awkward since she caused a scene the night before. Then I saw him again a few months later at a tailgate. They’re still together but it was a fun night while it lasted." —Amy, 24
6. "It was my sorority sister's wedding, and a group of us were there. It was all of our first weddings as "adults," so needless to say we took the open bar a little too seriously. I started making out with a guy on the dance floor. He was staying in a different hotel than the rest of us, so I drunkenly thought it'd be smart to bring him back to the room I was sharing with three other girls. Mid-hookup, they're unlocking the door! I scream out and ask them to wait. He was taking forever to get dressed so they were all yelling and banging on the door. He finally leaves and I hear screaming in the hallway. Turns out he put on my female friend's pajamas instead of his own clothes! She made him take them off right there and go through the hotel in just boxers! She flipped out at me so badly that I had to leave the room and wound up in tears...in the bride's suite!" —Haley, 25
7. "My college friend was getting married to her college sweetheart and the wedding was abroad in Ireland—her hubby was born there and he moved to the US when he was 20. I was not in the wedding party but I thought there was NO way I was going to miss out on going to Europe. The wedding was beautiful and the after party was crazy. I was definitely getting tipsy when I bumped into an absolutely gorgeous man who just so happened to be the best man. He was insanely charming, funny as hell, and had an accent so we clicked instantly. Things were starting to heat up and we decided to take it somewhere private. We did not want to wait long so we noticed a storage room and headed right for it. I'll just say it was probably the best sex I have ever had. Afterwards we made our way out of the closet and we began talking normally to make it seem like nothing happened. Suddenly a women who I had remembered was in the wedding party approached us and began kissing the man whom I had just spent some passionate moment with in the closet. Turns out, she was not only the maid of honor but his wife! I ran away as fast as I could. I was so flustered and hurt that I left the next morning and boarded a flight out of there. About a month after the wedding I went to a bar to meet my friend and her new husband and he was there with them. He told me that he was separated from his wife and had filed for divorce. Two years later we're married and expecting our first child together. Crazy how things work out." —Ciara, 31
8. "Two of my best friends from college were getting married to each other. I was a bridesmaid and the wedding party had access to unlimited free alcohol at the bar. So, obviously, I took advantage of that. One of the groomsmen that I met that night was sort of cute. We went back to the hotel and ended up hooking up, and it was pretty mediocre on my end. No connection, no satisfaction, nothing. We had to stop because I couldn't get turned on and we didn't have any lube. We talked, fell asleep, and then it all hit the fan when I woke up the next morning. He told me he thought I was the most perfect person he had ever met and that he and I were meant to be together. He added me on Facebook and relentlessly messaged me about how we had such a strong connection and should try to visit each other and make it work. This was after I told him I was not looking for anything romantic or anything more to happen from that night. He continued to message me and send me weather reports for my area as a "helpful gesture." One morning he told me to make sure I grabbed an umbrella because it was expected to rain in my town later that night. I have stopped responding to him but I did end up packing an umbrella that day, though. So I suppose there's two times he's been responsible for making sure I didn't get wet." —Courtney, 22
Responses have been lightly edited for length and clarity.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.