The Long Plot Sans Spoilers
In the film, Lara's journey really begins when she's asked to acknowledge an "official" end to her father's life. Feeling cornered, what the rebellious young woman accepts instead is one last puzzle box containing a clue to her dad's fate, which leads her to believe things might not be so final, after all. What she finds will ultimately take her far from home, even to the farthest corners of the Earth
The Short, Honest Plot
Myths and mysteries. Adventure and acrobatics. Oh, and Alicia Vikander is #FitnessGoals!
The Actors And Where You Last Saw Them
Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft
If you're an avid follower of the Oscars, you probably know that she won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in The Danish Girl in 2016.
Daniel Wu as Lu Ren
He plays the lead in TV series Into the Badlands, but he's also done a lot of Hong Kong movies under his belt.
Walton Goggins as Mathias Vogel
He's been in a lot of Quentin Tarantino and Steven Spielberg movies, but you may have seen him in the FX TV shows Justified and Sons of Anarchy.
Kristin Scott Thomas as Ana Miller
She was in the first Mission: Impossible movie and in The English Patient in 1996.
Dominic West as Lord Richard Croft
You might remember him as Theron, the nasty statesman who opposed Leonidas and Gorgo in 300.
Did You Know?
- You might be wondering, why does 2018 Lara Croft not have big boobs like Angelina Jolie circa 2001? The classic game got a reboot back in 2013, with a new origin story, a new look, and a new physique and outfit for the main character. The 2013 Tomb Raider game is definitely the basis for this 2018 movie. In fact, some scenes and shots look like they were lifted directly from the game!
- Alicia gained 12 pounds of muscle while training for the movie. She worked with trainer Magnus Lygdback, whose other clients include Katy Perry and Alexander Skarsgard.
- Aside from working out, Alicia had to go on a strict diet to get the right body. But she didn't starve herself for the role! It may have helped that she used to dance ballet. "Her diet consisted of complex carbs, including brown rice, quinoa, and rice noodles with fish and eggs, which she admitted was 'pretty boring.' She ate five times a day at three-hour intervals and lamented the fact that she could not touch alcohol."
- There aren't enough women in the Tomb Raider reboot. Alicia said it herself!
- This film will be the second time actor Dominic West plays the role of Alicia's father! The first time was in Testament of Youth (2014).
What I Think:
Alicia Vikander is perfectly cast as the rebooted Lara Croft. I love the fact that her physique and athleticism make her believable when she does all her stunts. She makes me want to work out more so that I can survive if I ever get stranded on a remote island!
I also love that this Lara Croft isn't the hypersexualized video game character we all grew up with. There are no gratuitous cleavage or butt shots. She's still beautiful and sexy, but just as important are her smarts and quick wits. I love that she's trying to find her own way in the world, separate from her father's legacy and that she's decisive and determined.
And this movie really makes me want to learn archery and kickboxing!
What My Friend Thinks:
"I found the movie very exhilarating. It's quite different from the Angelina Jolie era. I did not expect that much running and chasing scenes. Alicia Vikander was physically fit and very well-prepared for the role. I haven't played the game but I enjoyed this movie." —Kristine
I'd Recommend It To:
All the ladies! 2017 brought us Diana of Themyscira. 2018 brought us Nakia, Okoye, Shuri, and Ramonda from Wakanda. And now we have the new Tomb Raider! Who run the world? Girls!
This Lara Croft can go from bicycle to boardroom. She can navigate the streets of London, a busy Hong Kong quay and a heavily forested island off the coast of Japan. She can take care of herself, and she doesn't need a man to define, save, or defend her. She's smart and brave. She goes after what she wants. And when things are tough, she finds a way.
Follow Regina on Instagram.