- Pinoy pride is probably at an all-time high right now, all thanks to Manny Pacquiao! The Pound For Pound Champion just proved to millions of boxing fans around the world that speed can win over size when he won his match against the relatively gigantic Mexican champ Antonio Margarito. This fight won him the WBC Welterweight Champion of the World belt, his eighth world title so far.
- Actually, Pacman could've easily knocked out Margarito in the last few rounds, but he didn't. Instead, he took it easy on his opponent around the 11th and 12th rounds, when he noticed that Margarito's cuts and bruises were already quite severe by then. Pacman even wanted to stop the fight at that point. Pacman not only has the brawn, he's got a big heart, too!
- President Noynoy Aquino has finally confirmed that he's dating his stylist, Liz Uy. Rumors of an engagement and a wedding date were even making the rounds, but P-Noy himself finally admitted the real score. The President said they are not yet exclusive, although he confirmed his feelings for Liz, saying, "I discovered how beautiful a person she was."
- Presidential ex-girlfriend Shalani Soledad, meanwhile, made her formal entry to showbiz as Willie Revillame's co-host in Willing Willie. And this early, she seems to be getting quite a dose of intriga already. Rumors recently circulated that the Valenzuela City councilor has a love child with Valenzuela Mayor Win Gatchalian and/or her co-host Willie. The pretty city councilor/TV host has since denied all allegations.
- A lot probably got excited about Hollywood action star Jackie Chan's offer to do a movie with Cosmo's November cover girl Kim Chiu, but reports say that it might not happen anymore.
- After staying mum on her spat with manager Annabelle Rama, actress Heart Evangelista finally speaks up. This was in response to Annabelle's tirade ("Ingrata, walang utang na loob, at malalaos din") when Heart's mother decided to end her co-management contract with Annabelle. On the showbiz talk show Tweetbiz, Heart gave an emotional apology to her former manager Annabelle, also thanking the latter for helping her with her career. The Cosmo cover girl wants to start 2011 on a positive note, so she really hopes to patch things up with Annabelle before the year ends.
- Our kababayans are, indeed, making their mark in the international film industry. At the 37th Brussels International Film Festival (BIFF), Pinoy filmmaker Mark Meily's Donor won the most coveted Best Picture, while our very own Meryll Soriano took home the Best Actress award for her role in the same movie. But it doesn't stop there. Brillante Mendoza, another Pinoy filmmaker, was given the Visionary Award for his contributions to indie films. Also, for the first time in the history of the BIFF, a Filipino--actor Marvin Agustin--was one of the jurors.
- Despite the web of intriga she's currently in, Heart Evangelista is still one very lucky girl, and we bet a lot of girls would still want to be in her shoes. One major reason? Her hot, handsome, irresistibly charming boyfriend Daniel Matsunaga. The Cosmo Centerfold (who has a fashion editorial in Cosmo this month!) recently stressed that he chose to be in a relationship with Heart, not because of her wealth, but because he really loves her. Incidentally, you can continue to drool over his hot bod and otherworldly charm in GMA-7's daily primetime soap Grazilda (check out his torso-baring costume!).
- We bet Harry Potter fans can't wait to dash to the cinemas this week to see Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part One, the penultimate movie of the best-selling series. To get you a little more excited, check out these red carpet snapshots of the movie's gorgeous cast (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, and more) at the movie's world premiere in London.
- Gwyneth Paltrow has just proven that she's more than just a good actress who happens to be able to carry a tune--she really can perform and make an audience go "wow!" At the recent Country Music Awards, Gwyneth earned a standing ovation from the best artists in the country music scene, after she sang "Country Strong," a song from her movie of the same title. Not bad for her first live performance, don't you think?
- Did you miss David Archuleta's back-to-back concert with David Cook last year? Well, good news for fans of the American Idol runner-up: he'll be coming back to the Philippines to promote his sophomore album, The Other Side Of Down, at the SM North EDSA Skydome on November 17, 6 PM. Also, if you buy a copy of the album at the venue, you can get a chance to have it autographed by David himself!
- It turns out that Charice is no longer the only Filipino on the hit TV show Glee. Darren Criss, the actor who plays Kurt's possible love interest Blaine, is actually half-Filipino and half-Irish. Well, his powerful pipes should've been a dead giveaway of his Pinoy roots, don't you think?
- The network war is no longer just about Kapuso vs. Kapamilya. Apparently, three major TV networks are now claiming the number one spot in Monday's early primetime ratings game: ABS-CBN for its revamped TV Patrol, GMA-7 for 24 Oras, and TV5 for Willing Willie. So, which one is your number one station?
- Remember those legends (alamat) about every fruit, plant, or animal we know, and how they used to be humans who were "cursed" into their non-human form? Now you can relive these childhood stories with a fresh and creative spin. Check out TAMALA (which is, curiously, "alamat" spelled backwards), a musical by Miriam College Institute for the Arts. It will be staged on November 19 and 26 (Friday) at 1:30 PM at the Marian Auditorium, Miriam College, Katipunan Avenue, Quezon City. For inquiries call Mindy Ordonez at (02) 580-5400 ext. 1105 or (02) 433-3929 or email at email@example.com.
Continue reading below ↓
Continue reading below ↓