Parting is such sweet sorrow. But for Pinoy rock fans saying goodbye to an annual musical tradition (and a rock music station), there's no sweeter way to part than with a bang—a loud, heart-pounding, body-slamming, ear-splitting one at that.
Last October 29 at the NBC Tent, supporters of the local rock scene gathered for a very special, by-invitation-only event, the very last NU Rock Awards. Incidentally, NU107 also signed off last night. But instead of dwelling on the sadness that usually comes with bitter endings, rakistas celebrated by reminiscing the rock awards of past years and recognizing the most influential and ground-breaking artists and institutions who contributed to the Pinoy rock music industry.
The audience head-banged, jumped up and down, sang along, and went on a trip down memory lane to live performances from Bamboo, Franco, Greyhoundz, Itchyworms, Kamikazee, Pupil, Rivermaya, Slapshock, Sugarfree, Tanya Markova, The Dawn, The Youth, Up Dharma Down, Urbandub, and more.
Cosmo was there, not just to scout for hot hunks among the audience, but more importantly, to join in paying tribute to our local music artists, the bands you may have enjoyed listening to at one time or another. We also ran into a handful of hot celebrities (check out Centerfold Daniel Matsunaga, Cosmo cover girls Iza Calzado, Heart Evangelista, KC Concepcion, Anne Curtis, and more!) who acted as hosts and award presenters that night.
Go to the next page to view the list of winners who were recognized at this year's NU Rock Awards, and click on the button below to launch a gallery of highlights from the show, as well as snapshots of celebs we spotted on and off the stage at the event.
- Artist of the Year - Franco
- Album of the Year – Franco
- Vocalist of the Year – Gabby Alipe of Urbandub
- Guitarist of the Year - Peavey “Sideshow" Nicolas and Fran Lorenzo of Sleepwalk Circus
- Bassist of the Year – Lalay Lim, Urbandub
- Drummer of the Year – Otep Concepcion for Ozawa, Francis M, and Ely Buendia
- Best New Artist - Tanya Markova
- U-Rock College Band of the Year - Reese & Vica of Ateneo
- Best Album Packaging – Sleepwalk Circus
- In the Raw Award – Flying Ipis
- Best Live Act - Tanya Markova
- Best Music Video – "Disney," Tanya Markova
- Producer of the Year – Angee Rozul & Ely Buendia for In Love and War
- Hall of fame award - Angee Rozul
- Listener’s Choice Award - Franco
- Song of the Year - "This Gathering" by Franco