Starting to wonder if the things-that-go-bump-in-the-night around your home are actually real ghosts? Here are the five key signs you might be living in a haunted house.
Your possessions have been going AWOL.
It could be your tweezers, jewelry, postcards, tin opener. Typically everyday items which, although not necessarily valuable, are useful and their absence is noted. Sometimes said item may suddenly (and inexplicably) reappear in a totally random place. Activity like this signals that they're trying to get your attention.
Your pets are ~freaking out~.
If you notice your furry BFF is suddenly stopping in their little paw tracks, raising their haunches, or howling or hissing at something unseen, chances are, they're having an encounter with your home invader.
The temperature suddenly changes.
Not in the way that indicates someone accidentally changed the airconditioner's controls again, but in an immediate, breath-chilling way. This is often really noticeable in certain rooms. You can walk in and just feel the change in temperature. It means there's a presence.
Your appliances play up for no reason. Often.
Lights go on and off, bulbs explode, radios and TVs increase in volume, kettles boil, etc. Interfering with us via the electrical realm seems to be a preferred and regular habit of ghostly visitors. They're just saying "Hi."
You feel like shit.
This is probably the worst symptom, and it's (Not a hangover!) a creeping sense of low mood, sadness, or grief. There's no reason for you to feel bad, but you do. You may start to hear or see things which don't make sense.
And this is the point at which it might be time to say ENOUGH!
You don't have to put up with it, you know. Here are a few things you can do to rid your house of ghosts:
- Go from room to room and say aloud, with conviction, "I cleanse my home and myself today, no negative energies can stay."
- Some people use smudging as a technique, which involves carrying a bundle of smouldering sage (Which you've lit very carefully, and will douse in cold water straight after!) from room to room while saying your affirmation. Swirling the "smudge stick" in a clockwise direction to fill the room with smoke.
- Some people also use holy water, sprinkled in each room.
- Others actually revel in having guests.
- And some just plain move out.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com/uk. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.