Despite the fact we bleed more or less every month from puberty until menopause, and we know exactly what goes down, er, down there, there are still a fair few mistruths about menstruation that are flying about.
Some of these are ridiculous (and are most definitely untrue):THE US/UK:
1. Tampons will break your hymen and make you impure.
2. You can't take a bath.
3. Don't go camping because the bears can smell it from far away.
4. Don't perm your hair until after first period.
5. If you touch any vegetable before or during the pickling process, they would not pickle and go bad.NEPAL
6. You can't be in homes or have contact with anybody.ISRAEL
7. You get slapped on the face when you get your first period, so you have "beautiful" red cheeks all your life.
8. If you shower with hot water while on your period, you will have a heavy flow.COLOMBIA
9. You can't drink cold beverages because they will give you cramps.
10. Don't wash or cut your hair.POLAND
11. Having sex can kill your partner.ROMANIA
12. You can't touch flowers because they'll die quicker.MALAYSIA
13. You need to wash your pads before throwing them out. Otherwise, ghosts will come and haunt you.INDIA
14. You can't enter a kitchen or cook food for anyone else.
15. You can't enter a place of worship.
16. You can only enter a place of prayer once you've washed your hair on or after the fourth day.
17. You must wash your hair on the first day itself to clean yourself completely.
But on the contrary…
18. If you wash your hair during your periods, your flow will be less and it will affect your fertility later in life.MEXICO
19. You should avoid dancing to very active rhythms in order to take care of your uterus.DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
20. Don't paint your nails, wash your hair, or drink lemonade.BRAZIL
21. You can't wash your hair.
22. You can't walk barefoot (you might get cramps).ARGENTINA
23. You can't make whip cream; it will curdle.
24. If you take a bath, your bleeding will stop and stopping bleeding is bad for your health.PHILIPPINES
25. When you get your first period, you need to wash your face with the first menstrual blood to have clear skin.