Despite the fact we bleed more or less every month from puberty until menopause, and we know exactly what goes down, er, down there, there are still a fair few mistruths about menstruation that are flying about.
Some of these are ridiculous (and are most definitely untrue):
1. Tampons will break your hymen and make you impure.
2. You can't take a bath.
3. Don't go camping because the bears can smell it from far away.
4. Don't perm your hair until after first period.
5. If you touch any vegetable before or during the pickling process, they would not pickle and go bad.
6. You can't be in homes or have contact with anybody.
7. You get slapped on the face when you get your first period, so you have "beautiful" red cheeks all your life.
8. If you shower with hot water while on your period, you will have a heavy flow.
9. You can't drink cold beverages because they will give you cramps.
10. Don't wash or cut your hair.
11. Having sex can kill your partner.
12. You can't touch flowers because they'll die quicker.
13. You need to wash your pads before throwing them out. Otherwise, ghosts will come and haunt you.
14. You can't enter a kitchen or cook food for anyone else.
15. You can't enter a place of worship.
16. You can only enter a place of prayer once you've washed your hair on or after the fourth day.
17. You must wash your hair on the first day itself to clean yourself completely.
But on the contrary…
18. If you wash your hair during your periods, your flow will be less and it will affect your fertility later in life.
19. You should avoid dancing to very active rhythms in order to take care of your uterus.
20. Don't paint your nails, wash your hair, or drink lemonade.
21. You can't wash your hair.
22. You can't walk barefoot (you might get cramps).
23. You can't make whip cream; it will curdle.
24. If you take a bath, your bleeding will stop and stopping bleeding is bad for your health.
25. When you get your first period, you need to wash your face with the first menstrual blood to have clear skin.
26. Dough won't rise.
27. You can't touch plants.
28. Everything you cook will be a disaster.
29. You can't go to the beach or pool (no contact with water basically).
30. You can't make mayonnaise; it will curdle.
31. You can't make sushi because you have an imbalance in taste.
32. You must blow dry your hair after a shower.
33. Avoid shaving your bikini line as the skin will get darker.
34. You can't cradle babies or you'll cause them to get sick.
Myths gathered by period tracking app Clue from its users via Twitter.
Follow Cat on Twitter.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.co.uk. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.