Marriage is sure to be an adventure for you and your man, but it also means leaving behind many of the exciting perks of being single. So before you tie the knot, make sure to get some of the single-gal craziness out of your system. We don't mean you should go missing the day before your wedding, like the dudes of The Hangover Part II (in theaters tomorrow, June 8), but a rendezvous with the girls (or flying solo) in Bangkok (minus the monkey)--why not?
It doesn't matter if you're planning to wed in the next couple of years, or if that trip down the aisle isn't even on your horizon. There are some things that you better indulge in now, because once you're hitched? Forget about it.
1. Date a guy who's totally wrong for you just because he has amazing abs. So what if he's five years younger and your polar opposite? The joy of running your hands across his six-pack is a perfectly legitimate reason to go out with him.
2. Collect at least six country stamps on your passport, including one from a place that until recently you didn't even know existed. Yes, it's fun to travel with your man, but you also have to have some solo adventures under your belt before you start sharing your life with him one hundred percent.
3. Embrace feminine decor. Don't go so far as to paint the walls pink—that'll freak out any guy who sets foot in your place—but stock up on stuff that appeals to your girlie side. When you're building a nest with him, you'll have to compromise on furniture and accessories, so pile on cute throw pillows while the decorating is all up to you (because here's a tip: Guys hate those things).
4. Wear a hip, fabulous ring on your left hand. Once you have an engagement band, you won't want anything detracting attention from the ring.
5. Take advantage of the whole bed. You have the rest of your life to stick to "your" side when you sleep next to your man. Right now, place your pillow smack-dab in the center and make like a starfish.
6. Spend an embarrassing amount of money on a designer bag you love or heels that make you feel incredibly sexy. Chances are, when you have a joint account with your hubby, he's not going to get why a purse might be worth the GDP of a small country.
7. Learn how to change a tire and work a drill. It's easy to relegate all those "guy" tasks to your man (and you totally should enlist his help), but there's a sense of power that comes with being able to fix something yourself.
8. Master using a vibrator.
9. Slip one of those furry covers on the toilet. Once it's there, he'll have to accept it (and psst, they make it impossible for men to leave the seat up).
10. Throw blowout bashes. Sure, it's nice to have a mellow get-together with your girlfriends, but that shouldn't be the extent of your social life. Before settling down, let your wild side reign.
11. Get a grip on your dough. Sign up for a retirement plan and invest extra income in stocks or government bonds. Take charge of your own cash flow before merging moola with your guy.
12. Have your dad take you out to dinner as often as possible. The reasons: It's great bonding time, and his open-wallet generosity will dry up once you're hitched. Face it, your reception is the last meal that'll be his treat.
13. Hone a signature lingerie style. Figure out what cuts and colors are hottest on you, and develop a look that's all your own. That way, your one-day groom will follow your lead…and not buy the polyester, so-small-you-could-floss-your-teeth-with-it teddy.
14. Want a teacup pup? Heed this advice: Buy it now. Call it Truffles. Let it sleep next to you in bed. If you wait to get a pet with your betrothed, it will end up being a big, slobbering Lab called Bochok.
15. If all you feel like eating for dinner is ice cream and a softdrink, buy a cone and pop a Coke. When you and The Mister eat together all the time, you'll be less likely to indulge those bizarre—but oh-so-satisfying—cravings.
16. Plan your fantasy wedding. Now's the time to let your imagination roam—rip pictures of dresses from magazines, size up ceremony venues, and try on some rocks at the jewelry store. This stuff wigs guys out if they witness it, so get it out of your system now.
17. Start a pleasure ritual that a change in your relationship status can't disturb. Regularly treat yourself to something you love, whether it's a manicure, yoga classes at the fanciest studio in town, or a superrelaxing massage.
18. Set up your home in a way that fits your needs. Maybe keeping the coffee machine in the bathroom so you can get your caffeine boost while you put on makeup in the morning works for you. Until you have to deal with someone else weighing in on your unusual arrangement, customize.
Getting hitched soon? For more tips for the Cosmo bride-to-be, grab the June 2011 issue of Cosmopolitan and flip to see Cosmo Bride at the back, in stands now!